CPU cooler

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GhoulScout, Jun 29, 2006.

1. GhoulScout

GhoulScout OSNN Addict

hello all, i have just finished putting together my new computer in which i installed a thermaltake CL-P0092 SILENT 775 cooler. currently the temps are around 43c while ripping a cd. i was wondering if i should swap out the cooler for the thermaltake big typhoon (or perhaps some other recommnded cooler?) or whether i should just leave it with the current cooler. any help is appreciated. by the way my specs are:

intel pentium d 930 3.0 ghz
    gigabyte 945p-pro mobo
    antec neohe550
    corsair twinx 2gb 667 mhz
    gigabyte GV-NX76T256D-RH with the silent pipe
    creative x-fi SD
    thermaltake shark
    logitech g-15
    razer copperhead

again thanks for any help.

2. iceman7311

iceman7311 OSNN Senior Addict

i would always want my cpu to be as cool as possible. if your bugdet allows i would get the scyth ninja. it is the best air cooler on the market and should keep your cpu pretty cool.

edit: get some artic silver 5 thermal paste for whatever cooler you decide to go with.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Easy one: ZALMAN 9500.

I have an Intel Pentium D 950 and it works perfectly. It's not cheap though.

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Seconded. Thing is a beast and can be a bit of a task to install, but well worth every second and every penny :)

5. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

thermaltake sonic tower.
    i tried running one of those calculation intense ..seti@home / aidss@home applications... but the temperature got up to like 50°C. Normally I am at around 28°C. Mind you, i never mounted on the optional fan to the unit.. its just one huge mother of a heatsink.. ive posted pics somewhere in these forums before. I bet I could toast a slice of bread in it, thats about how big it is... no one can bribe me with reps to do such a thing, not even guys with 262 power scores. hehe

6. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

scyth ninja is one of the highest ranked right now. Then the Zalman 9500. After that I'd have to say I like my Thermalright XP-120 on my Opteron. I stay at 28-32c idle.

7. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I use a Gigabyte one!

This one infact, it's great.

Attached Files:

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

yeah. Gigabyte does make some pretty good coolers, but they're not really the more silent of the bunch. i actually just bought the Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 that i plan to put to good use..... probably get it installed tonight.

9. GhoulScout

GhoulScout OSNN Addict

i've been looking up reviews on the various coolers suggested, but i haven't found many of the temperature being cooler than what i'm getting from my current cooler. i was also looking at the cooler master hyper6+ which i've seen my current processor run at 23c idle wih it on.

10. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Fwiw, 43C at load is not bad.

11. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Zalman
    Fatal1ty FS-V7 VGA Cooler & Fatal1ty FS-C77 CPU Cooler

:nervous:

That's what I use

12. GhoulScout

GhoulScout OSNN Addict

i din't think 43c was bad until using the cooler master hyper 6+ on another computer and finding out that its temp was only 23c at idle, seemed significant enough to where i thought my temps were a little high. they are both using the same processor as well and thermal paste (arctic silver 5) only difference is the hsf.

13. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

There is a difference between idle and load temps m8.

You can't compare your temps with another at idle. And you also have to consider the temps of the location where the system is.

My cpu is at at least 95% load at all times and it runs at about 40C constantly. I use a zalman cooler as well for my cpu, it is the 7700 CU. Cool enough for me but you have to ensure you have proper clearance around the proc.

14. GhoulScout

GhoulScout OSNN Addict

i understand the difference, i just wasn't expecting something so substantial.

15. ElementalDragon

this might sound a tad rude..... but wow.... someone really likes forking money into Fatal1ty's pockets. hell.... i probably wouldn't buy a Fatal1ty piece of hardware if it were the last line of that piece of hardware being made. all you seem to get is the same performance of it's identical Zalman counterpart..... but red colored.

16. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I like Zalman and I like red .

ps: Your comment seems more you might be a tad jealous about him , did he frag yo a$$?

17. GhoulScout

GhoulScout OSNN Addict

i gave the creative fatality mouse a try, i had so many problems i decided to exchange it for a G5 on another computer.

18. ElementalDragon

no..... i'm not jealous of him. he's just an idiot milking people for more money than he already has.

19. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Mine is between 28 & 31.

The cooler I use makes virtualy no noise.

20. GhoulScout

GhoulScout OSNN Addict

which cooler do you use lee?