CPU cooler woes...still

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
OK...I have officially had it with ThermalTake CPU coolers...I am on my second one in my new box and today it just decided it didn't want to spin up. I checked all the connections and they were still connected but the fan on top will not spin...so of course my CPU got too hot and the machine shut itself down. This all happened cause I got my new video card in today and I decided I would go ahead and install it and reload my OS. So I power down my computer and make the switch out of the video cards and power things back up....I peeked in to see how things were doing and that is when I noticed the fan on the ThermalTake Xaser 11 wasn't spinning...the machine shut itself down and I unplugged the power cord and proceeded to check all the connections for the fan but they all appeared to be connected. Anyway...can anyone recommend a good CPU cooler that is not ThermalTake?

Coolermaster Aero7 Lite or +, both are the same except for the thermal compund they come with :p
I have a Lite (would buy the +, but not for £20 more!)

Originally posted by gballard
OK...I have officially had it with ThermalTake CPU coolers...I am on my second one in my new box and today it just decided it didn't want to spin up. I checked all the connections and they were still connected but the fan on top will not spin...so of course my CPU got too hot and the machine shut itself down. This all happened cause I got my new video card in today and I decided I would go ahead and install it and reload my OS. So I power down my computer and make the switch out of the video cards and power things back up....I peeked in to see how things were doing and that is when I noticed the fan on the ThermalTake Xaser 11 wasn't spinning...the machine shut itself down and I unplugged the power cord and proceeded to check all the connections for the fan but they all appeared to be connected. Anyway...can anyone recommend a good CPU cooler that is not ThermalTake?
Here you go buddy. Just got one for a P4 chip. Here is the AMD heatsink/Fan combo. Vantec Aeroflow with copper core. Look around at the reviews you just cant go wrong. Works on Tip Magnetics so you get a nice uniform airflow to the CPU.
VANTEC AeroFlow VA4-C7040

Are you sure it's not your power supply that's the problem? The fact that you installed a new vid card right before this happened seems a bit odd. The newer vid cards can draw a lot of power.

well...considering all the other fans in the box were running...and the one on the cpu cooler wasn't....I am guessing the Power Supply is still ok?

Have you plugged the CPU fan into where the motherboard fan is supposed to go? Usually there's two plugs on a board for that fan connector. Then you can tell if it's just the plug that's bad.

yes...everything was plugged in correctly and everything was running fine...and had been running fine for several weeks now...but...I put in this new video card...and this happens...maybe it is my power supply....the card I added was Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro....

When you plug the old card back in, does the fan work again?

i havent tried that....i was in a hurry to get back to work....i will try that and see what happens.

The Xaser 11 is one of those radical new "super coolers" isn't it?

Did you check if the fan connection on the MB could support it?

Some of the new cooler fans draw more power than the MB can safely supply. Check if a different fan will work off the MB Fan header. If not the Xaser may have fried it.

Then try the xaser fan plugged directly into a power supply connector. The xaser should have come with an adapter. If the Xaser fan runs direct off the power supply you can do what I did. Clip the black and red wires and attach them to a power supply molex conenctor for direct power. Then plug the old connector back into the MB header with just the yellow wire which is fan speed.

Bigger is not always better. (At least thats what I tell my wife...)

well...like i said...everything had been running like a champ until I put the new video card in....

I didn't see what the new vid card was above. Is it one that requires a seperate power connection direct to the power supply (9500/9700/9800/FX series, etc?

It seems bizarre this would cause the fan to quit, but check everything when troubleshooting.

It didn't come with a seperate power connector on the card....or at least I didn't see one....at the moment...the motherboard is totally pulled outta the box and the CPU Cooler is off as well as i was checking out the CPU to make sure it still looked ok. I will put everything back in the box and put the old video card in there and see if the cpu cooler fan spins up with it in there....gonna really suck if it is the new card causing this....guess will be time for a new power supply if thats the case eh?

Originally posted by gballard
guess will be time for a new power supply if thats the case eh?

Yeah...If you do have to replace the power supply, don't buy a cheap one.

By the way, I think Milton should get his own movie. Office Space was awesome!

Yeah....I won't skimp on the Power Supply....and on the Office Space thing....I could write a sequel based on the folks I work with...there is a guy there that looks and talks just like Milton...:)

welp...I guess it was a loose connection somewhere...cause I redid all the connections and the box is running like a champ again...thanks for all the ideas guys

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back