Cost for website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Tuffgong4, May 8, 2004.

1. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

ok so if I were to free lance a website for a company with just straight html (no php or sql) do you charge per hour (and how much) or do you charge for the whole project (and how much) I may or may not be able to get a design job and I don't want to go into it ignorant of what going rates are nowadays...

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

you know you are going to have to give more details of the hypothetical project - if it was a straight rip of a brouchure - if it was a complete design from scratch - if the company even has a logo or if you have to design that too - how many pages - is there any interaction - is there a target for search engine hits - that kind of stuff, because it would all change the time taken and the charges incurred..... I work by the hour but I do not do web-design. I think design per se depends a LOT on your reputation or portfolio as to what you can charge.

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

for php and mysql, no html I billed it hourly, I cant remember now what my rate was for that particular job though

4. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

for XHTML compliant designs, with CSS, no graphics, i get paid by the hour.

last project i did was for $30 an hour, for a total of 15 hours. (I normally charge $20 per hour, with a 2 hour minimum)

The company was pleased with my work, and the client was happy as well. Whenever other jobs come around, they always give me a quick heads up.

I have no idea of standard amount people charge, but i have seen people set really high prices that are just plain old stupid.

5. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

well I have a meeting on Thursday to discuss the details on the website...but what you said X gave me a good idea...what about if there are graphics designed and the like?

6. Andy

Andy Meep.

i charge by what the job is worth overall and not by hour. if something takes a long time, requires alot of graphics and pages etc, it'll be more expensive than a smaller job - like less pages etc or something i might have a design knocking around that can be used.

if you familiarise yourself with whats USUALLY charged, you can work around that. also, when i know a client is shaopping around - ill call around with thier specifications and ask the local places what they'd quote. that way, you can charge a little bit less, which often helps.

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I am very bad in the graphics department. But id say $25 an hour with graphics, and fully compliant XHTML + CSS would sound resonable.