Corrupt TCP/IP i think.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wesrack0, Jan 5, 2002.

1. wesrack0

wesrack0 Guest

I have two computers which i am trying to network together. I just got a new machine with Windows Xp Home Edition preloaded, and i cannot get it on the network. I have a netgear 4 port hub, and a 3com Network Interface card in the Windows Xp Machine. I believe the settings on the other machine (which is running windows ME) are correct. The XP computer cannot ping itself, nor can it ping it's own "loopback", the 127.0.0.1 ip. I believe i have a problem in my TCP/IP settings. I honestly do not know what is wrong. Does anyone have a suggestion.:confused: :mad: :confused: :(

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

First, check your cables. Are all the link lights on?

Then, check that the IP addresses are of the same class (the first three sets of numbers are the same, and that the last set are different). Also check that the subnet masks are both the same (255.255.255.0)

Next, try uninstalling all the protocols in the XP machine, and then reinstalling them.

JJB6486

3. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

To unistall the protocols, open the properties for your network connection, and click each item (Client For Microsoft Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler, and TCP/IP Protocol) and click the Uninstall button. Then click the install button. Install first from the services menu Client For Microsoft Networks & QoS Packet Scheduler, then install TCP/IP from the protocols menu.

JJB6486

4. Lactic.Acid

Lactic.Acid Guest

Note the QoS Packet Scheduler is unneccessary. It's just there for flavor ;)
    /L.A

5. Xymenon

Xymenon Guest