core stepping guide?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by iceman7311, Jul 5, 2006.

1. iceman7311

iceman7311 OSNN Senior Addict

where would i go to find out if i have a good core stepping or not?

i searched for a guide but was not sucsessful.

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

CPU-z will show you.

Attached Files:

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  4. iceman7311

no i should have been more clear. like a guide that shows you whoat core steppings are the best for overclocking. like how the cbbe1( i think) is the best stepping for the 165 and you can expect 2.6 - 3 ghz.

is there any thing like this?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  5. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

There is no guide for what core steppings are the best. Sorry... with AMD processors, it was usually the CG cores, but that has long since changed since the release of I believe the Winchester Core.

6. drummer4lifex

drummer4lifex OSNN Junior Addict

I'm an active member of another forum and there is a lot of info on steppings. If you tell me which AMD chips you're interested in I could most likely answer your question. As for the Opteron 165, the CCB1E stepping is pretty good and it should clock to about 2.7 on stock voltage, and 2.8 at around 1.55 vcore. Some people have theirs up to 3GHz but then again they are usually on water or phase-change. Once you start hitting 2.8 on Air (even with a lapped ThermalTake Big Typhoon) you're pretty much limited by temp. Also, the CCBBE stepping is pretty good but I think it runs a bit hotter. I'm pretty sure it's a better stepping for water/phase overclocking, though.

What other chips are you interested in?

7. iceman7311

ada35000dep4aw
    cbaxc d436mpm
    4437994l41449

thanx

8. drummer4lifex

It seems to me like that particular model should be good to at least 2.6 GHz. You may be lucky and hit 2.7-2.8 GHz but you'll have to raise the vCore to at least 1.6-1.7 Volts. Also, you might need really good cooling because you might get limited by temps at that high of a vCore. What kind of RAM do you have?

lancer likes this.
  9. iceman7311

in my sig.

10. drummer4lifex

I know but is it DDR 467? What's the CAS Latency?

11. iceman7311

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  12. drummer4lifex

Remember to lower your HTT to 3x and I would see if your RAM 1:1 all the way. At least to DDR510 (Hopefully). Maybe raise the DRAM voltage to 2.8 to achieve this. CL2 DDR400 performs about the same as CL3 DDR500 so it would be nice to get a 1:1. I believe it puts less stress on your LDT Bus when it runs 1:1 too, but I'm not 100% sure on that.