copying CD's to iPod deemed Unlawful!

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
yes.... this is another "RIAA SUX!!!" topic. apparently now they are saying that copying a CD that YOU OWN to your computer in order to listen to the songs on your iPod (and probably whatever other PMP you may own) is unlawful. they are getting too far out of hand now. If i remember correctly.... wasn't the whole schpiel about downloading copywrighted material (namely music) off the internet was violating the DMCA and mostly due to the fact that you don't have the rights to have the music since... basically.... you didn't buy the CD in the first place? now they're saying that even if you buy the CD, you can't do anything with the data on the CD other than listen to it on your computer or in your stereo? Someone has to punt the CEO of the RIAA, or whatever you'd call him, square in the groin...... knock his ego down a few pegs.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=13879

think the most defining 2 paragraphs of that news article are these right here:
Within American law, "fair use" is an exception that, among other things, allows people to make copies within certain circumstances and constraints. So making a copy of a CD for your own personal use is within the scope of fair use. That's the way copyright law has worked for quite some time.

But these new claims show that the right to tote your CD's contents around on your MP3 player were never expressly given, and that, for some reason, fair use doesn't apply. The implication is that all this time, they've been graciously allowing us to make tapes and MP3s from CDs bought for personal use.

so..... basically.... the RIAA wants us to use our PMP's as portable hard drives, and not PMP's? yippie..... we buy $200 MP3 players that turn into nothing more than a paper weight with an LCD Screen (mostly in the case of iPod's).

Soon having your music up loud and a window open will require a public entertainment licence and will breach copyright as anybody walking past could hear the music! :s :p

Last edited:
someone on Neowin's comments on the news article said pretty much the SAME EXACT THING! lol. cept... his was that if you had a passenger in the car, they wouldn't be able to listen to the music unless they had their own copy of the CD too.

maybe soon Radio will be banned.... since we don't own the rights to listen to the music.

well... Apple ain't the only PMP manufacturers..... we have Creative, Archos, iRiver, among others..... but i think Apple will be hurt the most since they can't really do much but play video and music.

ElementalDragon said:
cept... his was that if you had a passenger in the car, they wouldn't be able to listen to the music unless they had their own copy of the CD too.

maybe soon Radio will be banned.... since we don't own the rights to listen to the music.
that was because the riaa tried to get names of people from car manufacturers who bought cars, so they could sue them for letting people listen to music in their car (only they are allowed to listen to the radio in their car)

are you sure they are even allowed to listen to it in there car? maybe we should just tune into AM talk.. hmm maybe clearchannel will ghave a problem with that though.

F**k RIAA. They're a joke.

Think about it, they're trying to regulate music with such extreme measures, bah, what's the world coming to? I don't even know what to compare them with. Fair use? Please, go away.

I thought music was for our enjoyment.

The thing is, what can people do about it? Everyone always complains against the RIAA, but I've yet to see any effective action taken against them.

EFF?

I can only hope we don't see RIAA officers partolling the streets, checking up on people listening to music in public, in case they do something potentially unlawfull that's taking money from artists! :nervous:

Hmm, maybe RIAA-supported lectures/prtesentations in uni?! :yowch:

onimkron said:
I can only hope we don't see RIAA officers partolling the streets, checking up on people listening to music in public, in case they do something potentially unlawfull that's taking money from artists! :nervous:

Hmm, maybe RIAA-supported lectures/prtesentations in uni?! :yowch:
Hah! Come and get me Music Nazi's Prove what I don't have

Attachments

• PICT0134.JPG
    PICT0134.JPG
    508.3 KB · Views: 123
  • PICT0135.JPG
    PICT0135.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 125
Grandmaster said:
The thing is, what can people do about it?

Easy solution but people are too stupid/lazy to implement it. They'd rather take the chance they won't be a winner in the RIAA $M lawsuit lottery.

PS The solution?
-Stop buying CD's for 1 year.
-Listen to the radio on a $20 AM/FM headset instead for free.
-Tape (or Burn) music off your hi quality stereo receiver like we used to in the 70's when digital didn't exist and a casette cost $7 instead of the $15 they charge for CDs.

PPS What to do with the $200-500 you save not buying CD's?
-We throw one hell of a party when the recording industry and artists scream uncle and dissolve their RIAA Gestapo.

PPS You think the sound quality won't be as good? Bull****. After digitizing/compressing and playing back through earbuds there is no sound quality anymore.

falconguard said:
Hah! Come and get me Music Nazi's Prove what I don't have
OMG! Don't say that. They will confiscate your entire collection for 3 years while they review it against the contents of your HD which they will also confiscate. Your collection will become lost or damaged and your HD erased.

A question? Has anybody ever heard of a case where the RIAA charged a multimillionaire or his kid? They always seem to go after people who can't afford to defend against the legal action.

ElementalDragon said:

Quote of the year :cool:

:) seriously though...... they must really be pulling these ideas of theirs out of SOMEBODY'S arse.... and it sure ain't the public's.

we can go even further than the RIAA with the same basic dilemma's too. take the MPAA. what if THEY follow in the RIAA's footsteps? maybe movies they air on TV won't be watchable by the general public unless they own a copy of the movie? or we won't be able to watch our favorite TV shows, like Smallville, since we don't own every season on DVD?

Sazar: was that meant to be a GOOD comment about my quote..... or a sarcastic comment? i'm assuming good, due to the :cool: that follows it..... but..... still not 100% sure.

gonna start a little trouble here, sorry

this is what it means when corporations controll the laws that are written, they get to write whatever laws they like

corporate politics, judges appointed by the party of the corporation, and the politicians that corporations put in office for just this reason

they pay a little bit and get whatever they want in return

this is voting against our own best interest and we will continue the process...most people think the corporate agenda is a GOOD thing until they are faced with reality, and then it is far too late

these types of decisions are about to propagate exponentially

sorry

LeeJend said:
A question? Has anybody ever heard of a case where the RIAA charged a multimillionaire or his kid? They always seem to go after people who can't afford to defend against the legal action.

My guess is there are a couple possible reasons you don't hear about rich people getting charged:

1) It's not "news worthy" so no one reports it
2) Rich people settle earlier before it makes the news
3) RIAA doesn't got after rich people because they can hire lawyers to fight them.

Harr.

Turtle Beach and fiber optic here I come.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back