copied cds

T

TheKungFuMan

Whether this line of questioning is legite or not i dunno, but here goes.

I have friends from whom i can get cd-roms containing downloaded games and software (some of which is potentially useful to my university course). These games obviously are burned and copied.

Now when i put them into my DVD-Rom drive i listen and i hear the DVD spinning and trying to be read... but to little avail. And if it does get read it often can take 10 minutes to open a folder. I have one disc which i have no problem with. The plastic disc in the center of it is blue.

The same CD-Roms when played on a friends PC run with no problem at all! They have the same DVD-Rom drive as me and the same software. However they have a different OS. I was wondering if anybody knows why this happens and if so is there a way around it? I am reluctant to accuse XP of being a stoopid OS since it is the one that i have to use on my computer cos i can't afford a new one!!
Puleezeeee help!!

Many thanks!:D

is your firmware up to date? and if you can try this...take your dvdrom drive and try it in your friends comp.

2 things come to mind. Either the copied disks are of poor quality (such as cheaper disks) or your dvd lens needs cleaned. I have seen both happen. I have bought some cdr's that I thought were pretty good and in fact most were. But the last 15 of the 50 spool were no good as they would only work on one cd-rom. I must have tried 5 others without success. As for cleaning the dvd I have seen people use a cd-rom cleaner disk which helped. as for me I take apart the cd-roms and manually clean them.
Since I have changed to more expensive cdr's I have not had a bad disk yet on 4 different types of cdr or cdrw.

another reason why it pays to buy quality/more expensive cdrs

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back