Cooling needed or not

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by andre9540, Jun 14, 2002.

1. andre9540

andre9540 Guest

i am purchasing a WD400BB @7200 40G and was wondering if a hard drive cooler is necessary and if they really work

on a liter note what is the best way to setup case fans i listed two possiblities

case [​IMG]

2. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

personally never seen the need for a hard drive cooler. I have three harddrives in my machine and the case temp is 26C

On case fans, I use one at bottom of the case in the front and one two thirds up just behind the cpu fan.

3. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

I've got two 80mm evercool silent fans sucking air from the front of my case, one at the bottom, and one directly infront of my harddrive rack.

Keeps my two D740X Maxtors nice and cool :D cas temp stays at 26c, ambient is usually 24-25c

4. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

a cooler for an HDD is totally inefficient but i really like it's design , and it's very cheap here ..

5. MaDCeLL

MaDCeLL Guest

ide = no need
    scsi = better do !

6. Darkwolf

Darkwolf Guest

I think is ok not having the fan but it will better if you do.

7. the_tazinator

the_tazinator Are we there yet?

I have the same harddrive with no cooler on it, just a couple of case fans.

8. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

7200rpm hard drive no need cooling my opinion. unless where u live is really hot.

10000+ rpm drives seriously consider some type of cooling.

i have 2 7200rpm drives but are cooled by the 2 lower intake fans on my case. no need for a harddrive cooler. unless you want peace of mind get one:)