coolest fan ever!

cool!!!!

but I'm trying to figure something out;

How it works
Air is accelerated through an annular aperture. This creates a jet of air that passes over a 16° airfoil-shaped ramp, channeling its direction

what the hell does "accelerated" mean?

from what I'm reading, there are blades they are just somewhere else, the air is then driven through a compressor of some sort so the air is regulated when released to not pulse

this looks incredibly inefficient to me if my extrapolation is correct

[edit]

futher exploration, it seems my extrapolation is spot on;

Up to 5.28 gallons of air per second is drawn in by an energy-efficient, brushless motor. A combination of the technologies used in turbochargers and jet engines generates powerful airflow.

"drawn in" means pumped somehow and turbo chargers do have blades, so do jet engines

they go on;

Air is drawn in

Air is accelerated

Airflow is accelerated though an annular aperture. It passes over a 16° airfoil-shaped ramp, which channels its direction. 3
Air is induced

Air behind the Dyson Air Multiplier™ fan is drawn into the airflow, through a process known as inducement.

Air is entrained
Air around the machine is also drawn into the airflow, through a process known as entrainment, amplifying it 15 times.

nothing is produced from nothing, air isn't "amplified" from whole cloth, that has to be using energy or losing velocity or suffer some other loss to be physically possible

[edit] further reading;

Dyson engineers started with pressurized air, forcing it through narrow apertures to create jets. But they needed it to be more powerful to work in a fan. The breakthrough came when they noticed that accelerating air over a ramp amplified it by 10 – 20 times, drawing in surrounding air through processes known as inducement and entrainment. Hundreds of iterative tests revealed the ideal ramp angle, aperture width and loop amplifier dimensions.

Then came the problem of air intake – the motor had to suck in more than 20 litres of air per second to generate a powerful enough jet. A 3D impellor was required. Its nine asymmetrically-aligned fins have rows of tiny holes to reduce the friction caused by colliding high and low air pressure – birds of prey balance air pressure around their wings in a similar way.

so obviously there is a fan and as I suspected, they simply hide the fan, compress the air and then let it go

seems to me this is going to use quite a bit more energy for the same amount of air

anyway, still looks kewl

Last edited:
Dyson makes some really cool stuff.

If it's a fan then why, when watching the reactions video, are the people's hair or clothing not moving at all?

If they want to show what it can do, they should turn it on ....

the only wind I see so far is the hot air from the people trying to sell it ;)

Gizmodo had a review of it.... and they seemed to like pretty much everything about it except the price.... and they seem to go a bit into detail how it works... or at least explain it a bit better.

Dyson Air Multiplier Review: Making a $300 Fan Takes Cojones - Dyson air multiplier - Gizmodo
I explained it perfectly when I exptrapolated even before I read their tortured explanation;

it hides the fan in the base, the fan is in the form of a turbo with fins rather then a blade with fins like most

it collects the air in something close to a compressor, it releases the collected and compressed air over a foil to distribute the air in a particular fasion, and there is no pulsing of the breeze created by this fan with fins (it is not a finless fan)

simple stuff but it does look cool

who cares its a bloody vacuum - as long as it collects the dirt from the floor who cares how it does it :p

well... i guess technically it COULD be a vacuum... although it seems to be more of a desk/window fan than a floor fan. lol

perris: the only reason they're advertising it as a bladeless fan is because the part where the breeze comes from has no blades whatsoever. yes, it still has parts to move air... but they aren't exposed, and aren't directly blowing the air in the direction you want it to go.

Neat concept.... but i don't think i'd buy one. They do have killer vacuums though..... and hand driers.

cool!!!!

but I'm trying to figure something out;

what the hell does "accelerated" mean?

from what I'm reading, there are blades they are just somewhere else, the air is then driven through a compressor of some sort so the air is regulated when released to not pulse

this looks incredibly inefficient to me if my extrapolation is correct

[edit]

futher exploration, it seems my extrapolation is spot on;

"drawn in" means pumped somehow and turbo chargers do have blades, so do jet engines

they go on;

nothing is produced from nothing, air isn't "amplified" from whole cloth, that has to be using energy or losing velocity or suffer some other loss to be physically possible

[edit] further reading;

so obviously there is a fan and as I suspected, they simply hide the fan, compress the air and then let it go

seems to me this is going to use quite a bit more energy for the same amount of air

anyway, still looks kewl

Well actually according to the NewScientist Webpage's animation describing this fan.. Hole on a stick aims to reinvent the desktop fan - tech - 13 October 2009 - New Scientist ....it actually does not use any more energy than a normal fan of comparable ability.......I will certainly agree....it is overpriced though! LOL!!!! Actualy quite a bit of it is fairly clever....the internal aerofoil shape.....which lowers the pressure, and speeds up the air into a jet.....which then goes out of the ring...lowering the pressure in the center of the ring.....causing it to to literally suck more air through it. Nothing really Sci-Fi about it.....just a novel way of doing an old trick.....other than the fact that the air is less 'chopped up' and more even.....I dont see much of an advantage other than safety......(but honestly....unless you are talking about a HUGE metal bladed industrial fan.......how dangerous are fans really? LOL!!) Ive actually stuck my hand in a fan blade by accident plenty of times......(I have some strange complusion to take the sheild grating off the front of em so the blades are exposed....I guess I imagine more air will get through......LOL) Ive never even had my skin broken by one before......It can sting...but thats about it really. I suppose if you have a pet who is likely to stick their head straight into an exposed one.....then perhaps they could lose an eye or something......Or maybe if you had a really tiny.....thin skinned animal.....like a slamander.....and you dropped it into a fan....well that could be pretty disastorious.......I dunno....I guess Im kinda stretching trying to find a legitimate safety issue with normal everyday house fans......LOL! Youre probably pretty safe unless you have a really stupid dog.....or you happen to enjoy juggling your pet salamanders over the top of exposed fan blades. I dont think I could ever come up with a legitimate reason why I should need to spend 300 dollars on a fan...no matter how cool it was.....Unless I was gonna use it in some kinda science exhibit or something......I will gladly take it off of someones hands though...if they chose to give me one! LOL!!! Actually the design seems simple enough....it would probably make a pretty cool DIY type of project....It would likely not be as efficient as the professionaly made one (assuming that they really did all the research they claim to get the angles and such all perfect)...but to make one that just plain works....should be as simple as rigging up a device that blows air through a ring with a slit in it....a simple aerofoil shape should be easy enough to come up with for the interior of the ring. a hollow ring with a simple curved piece placed around the inside leading to the slit. Any kind of smooth surface that is easily workable, and can be glued airtight together when you are finished would work fine I would imagine. I woulnt mind trying to build this myself!
:eek: :dead: :smoker: :smoker: :dead: :beard: :s:smoker::chinese::rambo::hurt::beard::eek:gre::ninja::s

What are you guy's on? Such seriousness over a little fan :laugh:

You're on a tech website, what do you except? :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back