Converting from FAT32 to NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by GMeagle86, Jan 10, 2004.

1. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

Hi, I was reading about converting my Fat32 hard drive to NTFS. It said to goto

Click the "Start" button, and click on "Run"
    In the "run" box type "convert <drive> /fs:ntfs" and press "OK".

I have heard that it can cause some problems, like ending up making the hard drive slower in the long run.

I always have 15-20 or more programs open at a time, and I was wondering what file system would be better for my computer.

I am wondering if there are other applications that would convert this for me that are free. That are reliable.

Thanks!

2. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

If you have no specific reason to use FAT32 (such as legacy hardware, software, etc), then by all means ... NTFS IS the way to go.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

The reason people say converting from FAT32 to NTFS using the "convert" command can potentially cause slowdowns is because it sometimes creates 512b clusters instead of 4K ones. This may not always be the case though. I've seen computers on which the convert command does create 4K clusters, and others on which it doesn't.

The most fool-proof way is to obviously format the partition with the NTFS filesystem. But you could also use PartitionMagic if you want to be sure that you're non-destructively converting to 4K clusters rather than 512b ones.

4. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

Hmm. PartitionMagic isn't cheap, is there a place where I could get it cheap, or is there an alternative program that would do a similar thing?

5. NetRyder

This should do it:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

:)

GMeagle86 likes this.
  6. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

I prefer Acronis Partition Expert...

it's always worked when Partition Magic failed for me.

7. aerox

aerox Guest

i have used partition magic 8 several times, always good.

8. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

I did this and followed it, It worked great for me, took a while to complete, but everything seems to be running much smoother. Thanks!

9. NetRyder

Glad to help. ;)