Convert .bmp - .jpg

Canadave

Junior Ranger
Is there an easy way for a guy like me to convert a bitmap to a jpeg?

I only have Paint...no graphics software.

(If you're gonna recommend some program, it's gotta be free.):eek:

Graphic Converter 2003

http://www.flydragonsoft.com/download.htm

"Graphic Converter 2003 is a powerful tool to convert, process and view graphics. It can read 40 image formats and write to 21 image formats(batch convert available). Graphic Converter has a screen capturer to help you capture the image on the screen. You also can get the image by scanner. You can export the output image to file, printer, clipboard, wallpaper, or even send it to your friend by Email. It will add a context menu in Windows Explorer. Graphic conversion only need a simple right click-:) "

if you want to just use paint:
open up your image in paint, then click "Save As.."
In the save dialog, there is a "save as type.." option at the bottom, select jpeg.

Teddy beat me to it with an app tho :p

Hey Teddy, it was a SIMPLE question! :D

I think for a guy like me, SPeedY_B's explanation works best.

Thanks both!

@Canadave

I didnt know you could do it Speedy's way...

ner ner :p

You will probably be better off with a seperate application as for some reason MSPaint/pbrush saves jpegs with quite a high compression rate lowering the quality a fair bit.

So give one of the apps a try too, can't do any harm ... i think :D

OK, I downloaded Irfanview, and converted a bitmap to jpeg. I converted the same image with MSPaint. To my eye, there was no discernable difference. The size was slightly different;

MSPaint = 38kb
Irfanview = 43kb

I'm not complaining...I had Irfanview on another computer and enjoyed it.

not only that Irfanview is hand if you need to do a bunch of files all at once.... with the built in batch converter it has, for free what the heck....

ive always found MSPaint works best and is the easiest way to do this without having to get any new programs.. simple as :)

Originally posted by Canadave
OK, I downloaded Irfanview, and converted a bitmap to jpeg. I converted the same image with MSPaint. To my eye, there was no discernable difference. The size was slightly different;

MSPaint = 38kb
Irfanview = 43kb

I'm not complaining...I had Irfanview on another computer and enjoyed it.

when you try and convert a 40 layer image in paint you will see the difference, with simple images it is null

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back