control panel add/remove problem

Sazar

Rest In Peace
I just noticed this out of the blue... I hadnt used add/remove for a while so bear with me...

the attachment illustrates the problem... I have never had an error like that before and it is a little odd...

if anyone can shed any light on what I should do or where I should go to look into this I would appreciate it... not looking forward to reformatting right now...

definitely looking for a workaround

ta...

Probably the style you are using. Here ya go.

Fixing the dreaded "Parser Message: Value creation failed " at line 472" error:

This is a problem with the file shellstyle.dll, which is included in most visual styles.
Use the following steps to fix the problem:

1.) Go to your /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes directory, or wherever you may have your
themes located.
2.) Go into the directory of the theme your currently using.
Example: Using 'Semplice' by KoL? Navigate to /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/Semplice
3.) Go into the folder called 'Shell" within the previous directory.
4.) Inside you'll find a folder with a file called 'shellstyle.dll' inside. Now remember the name of the theme your using? (Example: Semplice). You need to rename this folder from Shell to the name of the theme your currently using. If you don't know the exact name, go to Display Properties, and try to Display/Show the theme, the name you see in Display Properties is the name you need to change the 'Shell' folder to.
Example: Using Semplice as an example, the Shell folder for that theme is called 'Shell', in this situation you'll need to rename the folder to 'Semplice'. Easy enough, right?
Note that for multi-part themes, aka themes with more than one variation or color, you'll need to rename each corresponding 'Shell' folder to what is displayed in Display Properties when you try to apply the theme.
5.) Now that you've changed the 'Shell' folder name to correspond with the visual styles name, reapply the theme.
6.) Go to Add/Remove Programs, and voila!

I think NetRyder had a thread going with this but couldn't find it.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
I think NetRyder had a thread going with this but couldn't find it.

Yep, wonder where that thread went. Can't seem to find it myself ;)
But yeah, that's basically a problem caused when using pre-SP1 themes on an SP1 installation. Most themers have updated their themes to work properly with SP1, but there are some old ones still floating around.

you wanna set one other one up in the themes section ? we can sticky it I think if this is a problem with various themes ?

I'll wait for a general consensus... :) thats what I implied in my previous post...

but ta for linky... makes life a lot easier...

Not a problem. :)
This was a big issue in the past, and there were tons of posts about it...especially right after SP1 was released. So I just created a thread with the fix, and it was stuck. The problem doesn't seem too rampant anymore, which is why I think the old thread was unstuck (though that doesn't explain why I can't seem to find it even with a search...heh)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back