content filtering with a router

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
My basic question is this: are there any routers (wireless or not) that effectively filter content? I'm wanting to educate myself more on the subject because I expect to have clients who need information on content filtering. I have looked on the websites of Linksys and Netgear, but haven't found much information. I did find one Linsys router that had content filtering, but it only had fields for 4 URLs and 6 keywords... which pretty much sucks.

If there aren't any effective routers and software is the best solution at this point, then what is best? I've found a HOSTS file with some 20,000+ URLs blacklisted, but it's tough to constantly find an updated list and manually update it on your system. Plus, this needs to be simple enough for the average user.

Thanks for any feedback. :)

actually was my 2 y/o daughter trying to set an all time thread spamming record with three posts inside ten seconds - luckily vB stopped her making more than one...

OT - Hey EP could you validate to stop blank posts?

Back to routers - they can be firewall routers and surely these are the ones that allow content filtering? I am only familiar with the basic, but can see there could be a market for them where you cannot afford a server and wish to filter content, probably quite a big market eventually as domestic take up routers because they truly are far preferable to modems... So I will watch thread with interest, (my daughter showing discrimination already! ;) )

lol.. is it me of did Mainframeguy post a blank reply?? lol :p

Looks to me like he did.
wink.gif

Dlink has some that are excellent. They have word filters built in, parental controls etc. Friend of mine is driving his kids nuts with one. They have to have him disable the filters to do homework projects on some subjects.

yeah i just looked @ my linksys and it only has room for 4 urls + 6 keywords :( but it has plenty of room for ports such as ftp??? :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back