Connection Troubles

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by chaos945, Feb 12, 2003.

1. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Okay, I have 4 network adapters and the only one that connects to my ADSL Provider is the one they gave me, the SMC EZ Card. This is a problem because it really sucks and I want to use my 3Com Integrated adapter on my motherboard or at least one of the other two. But every time I switch to any of my other cards my internet won't connect; I look in my DNS and IP config and all the correct info is there it is even connecting to my DHCP and getting a new IP, but.....no internet. Anyone have a clue what’s going on here?

My Modem:
    DLink ADSL Ethernet Modem

My Service:
    ADSL High Speed 500/100kbps

My Network Adapters:
    3Com 3C920B-EMB Integrated
    NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter Integrated
    SMC EZ Card PCI
    DLink DFE-538TX/R PCI

My Motherboard:
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe

2. lieb39

lieb39 Apple lover, PC User

Whats your OS?

3. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Windows XP Pro (legit) SP1

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

The ISP may have locked your MAC address. Every NIC has a (sortof) unique MAC address. Some ISP:s lock them for security reasons (beats me). This means that you can't change computer or NIC unless the ISP unlocks it.

5. chris

chris Free to Fly

If you are changing the NIC for the internet then yeah the MAC address will come into it. When i swapped what i used for my cable modem i had to completely switch off the modem and unplug it from the computer for 3 hours, in a way making the modem forget the MAC address. After waiting I plugged it back into the new NIC and it updated the address and worked fine.