connection speed?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by legba, Feb 8, 2005.

1. legba

legba OSNN One Post Wonder

Hello guys. My connection speed is too slow, what can it be? I am on DSL.

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

what are you using to connect to the internet? router or standalone modem?
    what's the bandwidth allocated to your connection and at what rate are you currently experiencing?

3. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Are you sure it's your connection and not your system? Have you tried something like dslreports to test your speeds? Also check your isp page for some kind of network status page and make sure they aren't working on it. ;)

4. Kush

Kush High On Life!

dsl doesnt always mean ull get fast speed, here in saudi the dsl speeds are measured in kilo bits not bytes, there are 8 kilo bits in a byte, so having a 64kb connection actually limits you to 8 kilo bytes down stream yeah thats how bad it can get here, my dad has 256 in his office = 64kb and he used to pay 2500 dollars a year, i think now its cheaper

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Don't they count that way everywhere? I know my 10Mbps is definately megabit. ;)

6. guerrilla

guerrilla OSNN One Post Wonder

7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

yeppers... network connections are calculated in bits... not bobs.. i mean bytes.
    only storage is calculated in bytes.

8. DwarfData

DwarfData OSNN Addict

Sorry to correct you, but there are 8 bits in a byte. Therefore 8 KiloBits (8192 bits) works out at 1 KiloByte (1024 bytes). However, if you have an 8 KiloBit connection, this does not translate to an actual 8 KiloBit download as part of the connection is used for packet information and other data used to ensure what you receive is what was sent.

If you're only getting 8 KiloBit download via dsl, then that is horrendous. :suprised: My old analog modem used to connect at 42-46 KiloBit. My DSL is now connecting at 2 MegaBit, giving me an approximate download speed of 256 KiloBytes per second.

9. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i meant kilo byte man, i know my stuff, i just didnt put kilo infront of bytes, i didnt think it would be interperted that way, 8 kilo bits in a kilo byte

10. Kush

Kush High On Life!

8 kilobytes download on dsl, at my friends house, read clearly about that part, and thats cuz thats the slowest option availible here and the fastest is 256kilo bits which gets u a 64 kilo bytes download speed

11. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Hmm, I'm paranoid I guess but... I found it odd that a '1 post wonder' posted a question and then a '1 post wonder' replied with a link. Spammers have a new technique? :)

12. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Hmm, I'm paranoid I guess but... isn't Elite Member for people with 1000+ posts? :p

Attached Files:

13. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

heh, OK!