Connecting to my FTP problem - Part2

Johnny said:
That is true j79zlr. I just read a lot of sites about port forwarding they all said that when you setup the server you have to use the main defualt port and -1, It is this way if you also use another port other the default ( I guess routers see port 21 as the default) and also open the passive range.

Other wards if you want to use 300 you have to also open 299 in your router. 300 for the transfer and 299 for the connection. And if you want to use 50000 50050 for the passive range you have to also open that. You also have to add your outgoing ip to the ip binding. I was not opening the -1 so this could be the prob I was having. I have not tried this yet myself, so I can't comment if it works or not.

Well they're wrong, aren't they. You don't need the -1 port. Period. I don't use it and my server works splendidly. Besides, it's whichever port you choose for connections (sessions) and the passive range for transfer.

Heeter: The clients should run with PASV on. That's why you're specifying a passive range in the first place. I don't know what the NAT setting does in that client, if it's for itself or the server.

Thanks Zedric,

I think now another has arisen: One of the two FTPclients is behind a router, as I found out today. i was trying to figure out why my brother's home client is now getting through, but his at-work client is not displaying the files, but does login. I am assuming that the problem is the router at his work. Could this be true? Might there be a way around this?

Thanks for all your guys's help so far, it has been great.

Heeter

Heeter said:
I think now another has arisen: One of the two FTPclients is behind a router, as I found out today. i was trying to figure out why my brother's home client is now getting through, but his at-work client is not displaying the files, but does login. I am assuming that the problem is the router at his work. Could this be true? Might there be a way around this?
This is why you want to use passive mode. Since all connections are made by the client in passive mode, all configuration for routers and firewalls are done in the server. This means that as long as the client's firewall allows outgoing connections, there won't be any trouble.

So the problem with the work client should be:
1. Limited outgoing connections in your passive range.
or
2. It doesn't have passive (PASV) mode turned on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back