confused transmission media???

@

@n!e

hi ..Currently i got a scenerio.
A company is divided into 2 sections of the same sizes. Both are located in 2 buildings separated by a narrow lane. Both are on the same floors and even connected by a covered footbridge for the employees to walk forth and back. This footbridge also carries the cable connecting the two switches on both sides. Currently both sections run on a single 10 Base T LAN using TCP/IP.
But is there are additional 15 new workstations, the network response are considered slow.

I've 2 not so sure solutions currently:
- Either replace the UTP cable connecting both sides with two
ISDN links (PRI-Primary Rate Interface) to the Internet and set
up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) between both sides
- Or replace the two switches by two hubs connected via a bridge
in order to segment the two networks. Does the introduction of
a bridge help to overcome the problem?

Is there other alternatives?:huh:
thanks in advance

Sounds like you need to up the network to 100Mbit. I don't think a bridge would help and ISDN sure as h*ll won't. The old cables probably work with 100Mbit gear as well. Just get 100Mbit switches, both for performance and compatibility with any 10Mbit workstations.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back