Concerns over Windows cashpoints

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by ming, Oct 29, 2004.

1. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Cash machine networks could soon be more susceptible to computer viruses, a security firm has warned.

The warning is being issued because many banks are starting to use the Windows operating system in machines.

Already there have been four incidents in which Windows viruses have disrupted networks of cash machines running the Microsoft operating system. But banking experts say the danger is being overplayed and that the risks of infection and disruption are small.

Read More @ BBC UK

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

LOL, I read the title as "Concerns over Windows crashpoints"! :D I'd be concerned about that too. :)

But yeah, cash machines shouldn't run windows. It just feels wrong to use a multi purpose desktop os for such an embedded application. Plus they crash all the time for some reason. I've seen crash dialogs a number of times when I wanted to get money, and there aren't too many Windows based cash machines that I use.

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Crashes are usually the crappy software the cash-points run, but I do agree it's not really practical to use Windows for something that's so simple.

4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

yeah I have seen a cashpoint or two in Scarborough which have had WindowsNT and one with a Windows2000 error message

I dont use those cash machine anymore

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I agree. It's probably more prudent to run some small embedded operating system for such a specialized system.