Computers in the War!

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by zyfos, Mar 23, 2003.

1. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

My friend just did some quick research on the laptops they've been usin in the war. These things are pretty friggin sweet! Specs are not all that high, but I've never heard of a laptop that can take this kind of abuse. :eek: Here's a little exerpt from their website.

No one tests their notebook computers like Itronix. Our testing lab is like a firing squad for computers. Could your notebook handle 54 repeated drops from 39" onto plywood over concrete? Could your notebook bake in a 140º F oven? Could your notebook operate at -4º F, be shaken like a can of paint, or handle being drenched in 4" of water an hour- all while running? Get a GoBook MAX and it will.

Source: http://gobookmax.com/gobookmax/testing.asp

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Niice :)

3. dubstar

dubstar format c:

nice find.

4. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

Tough, very tough, but can they withstand an EMP? lol :D

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

haha... no more stupid cans of compressed air...

[​IMG]

but i wonder what kind of harddrive can withstand those hits?

6. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

The harddrive is on "shocks", but still, a 1 meter drop is quite impressive.

7. U2Penn

U2Penn U2Penn

on the way home from work this morning i heard about these laptops on the radio. i think they said they sell for $4500. tough stuff indeed.

8. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

tuff to pay for maybe haha :D

9. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Woah. It's not a pretty notebook, but that's, that's cool!

10. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

hey guys i just broke my comp doin the same tests. desktops aint all that robust:D

11. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Many years ago when “small” hand held computers were introduced into the battlefield along with “personal eye screens” that gave you an 800x600 flat screen view (comparison) from a small 1” eye piece; these had to withstand being thrown out the rear of a Hercules transport planes flying slow and low. They had no moving parts; solid states hard drives and no screens they were also hermetically sealed. However they were abandoned as they required things like battery packs that each soldier had to carry as part of his kit, not because of the weight but the fact that the batteries contained some dangerous chemicals that could burn right into your body under the right set of circumstances. Also network technology as applied to these (ten year old) devices required a control system in place almost at the point of use (large truck/aeroplane), which made the system vulnerable.