Computer Upgrade and Vista

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political Access
As I am sure some of you remember, with XP, when you changed hardware(mobo, etc.), all you would have to do is call microsoft and get that nice little number saying you copy is ok and that you just changed something. Now its my understanding that they changed this not to long ago, and I was wondering if Vista was going to be the same? If I buy vista when it comes out and upgrade my computer later, will I be able to do this without buying a new copy, or paying some stupid fee?

I don't recall paying anything to get my copy of Windows validated, if that's what you mean.
Vista is more than likely to operate under the Windows Genuine Adavantage validation program, and they don't charge people for re-installing windows/validating windows.

I think what he is asking is, if you upgrade a part on your computer, say your motherboard will they classify that as the same computer and give you a new key. (assuming they lock the key to your hardware). I am curious to the answer to this myself...

In that case, then you'll have to get windows validated again... but they don't charge you.

I vaguely remember hearing that Microsoft changed their policy on that though. If you changed a major piece of hardware such as your motherboard they did not classify it as the same computer, so you would need to buy a new license.

I didn't mean to lead you to the question, but thats basically what I am wondering. Is this true, or is that just a horrible rumor. :)

I vaguely remember hearing that Microsoft changed their policy on that though. If you changed a major piece of hardware such as your motherboard they did not classify it as the same computer, so you would need to buy a new license.

Thats what I ment in the question, sorry if I didnt make it clear :)

Oww, my head hurts.

I just read the latest XP Home EULA.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx

No change to written MS policy on hardware upgrades or transfering your copy to a new machine. (They can of course be pricks about allowing reactivation if they choose.) On the bright side it does appear to have been rewritten for clarity.

Some interesting items I had not noticed before were in there:
-Limit of 5 machines allowed to connect to an XP Home based machine for asset sahring.
-The license explicitly states only a single CPU is covered per machine. i.e. They can legally pull the plug on a dual core machine anytime they want and make you buy a second licence.

Think I'll go find the XP PRO EULA now.
Edit
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspxhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx
This has not been made easier to read and is in a downloadable PDF.

-You can change machine it's on and a licence can be sold ONE time. i.e. second owner can not transfer it again.

-Nothing about upgrades but that is implicitly covered by the above change of machines.

-Can connect 10 machines through one liscence vs 5 for XP Home.

-To be eligible for security updates you must accept any DRM updates that MS decides to include. Interesting.

Cute - boldface added. This is the worst warantee I have ever seen. In English - Windows PRO might work for 90 days.
11. LIMITED WARRANTY FOR PRODUCT ACQUIRED IN THE US AND CANADA.
Microsoft warrants that the Product will perform substantially in accordance with the accompanying materials for a period of ninety days from the date of receipt.

No VISTA EULA posted yet. (Last I heard there will be 5 Versions.)​

I'll leave the 64 BIT EULA as an exercise for the student.​

Last edited:
Interesting, I'll try to dig up where I heard about the change in policy. Now that I think about it, I think it was on these forums...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back