Computer Shutting Down!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Toothdoc, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Toothdoc

Toothdoc Guest

My computer is shutting down on it's own. I have my power settings as always on and to allow hibernation.
    My problem is after some time in hibernation my computer shuts down completely and when I turn it back on it completely reboots including scandisk which takes 5-10 minutes. How do I prevent this from happening. Thanks

2. zoey

zoey Guest

I'd try putting this in applications, may get a better reply.
    ;)

3. Toothdoc

Toothdoc Guest

My computer is shutting down on it's own. I have my power settings as always on and to allow hibernation.
    My problem is after some time in hibernation my computer shuts down completely and when I turn it back on it completely reboots including scandisk which takes 5-10 minutes. How do I prevent this from happening. Thanks

4. Toothdoc

Toothdoc Guest

Thanks Zoey,
    Merry Christmas!

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

duplicate post, threads merged.

6. Stircrazy

Stircrazy Guest

you can try to just not use hibernation i remember reading somewhere awhile back(could have been here on this site i dont know) that some hardware configs + hibernation will crash comp or just force it to not work right coming out of hibernation
    just set the power options to leave HD on and turn off moniter after 30 mins or so and you shouldnt have no problems(disable hibernation)

hope this helps some but not sure about exact cause just a lil work around for ya.

7. Akash

Akash OSNN Senior Addict

sounds to me to be a hardware defect.

if its shutting down with scandisk appearing on booting windows up, its being abnormally shut down

could be anything to tell you the truth

start with the power supply, is it ok? is it underpowered for the hardware you have?

Then, heat, is it a cpu heat protection, that after x degrees c/f its shutting down to prevent meltdown of the cpu (sounds a bit like a startrek episode eh?)

failure for the above, id then check all other hardware and drivers... and worst comes to the worst, reinstall windows, and just windows, see if it shuts down still

it may be something a lot more basic because you say its relating to hibernation... in which case it still could be hardware/software (drivers)