Computer shuts down when I remove USB device!

BlackScarletLove

When I remove my memory cards from the USB device, the computer shuts down in an orderly manner, as if I'd selected Shut Down from the start menu! It does not happen every time, but it is a pissoff when I'm working on something to have the computer shut itself down just because I removed a device. Also, it doesn't happen every single time.

I've looked around for answers on this and haven't gotten anything other than a mention to update my usb drivers, but i cant seem to find an individual usb driver package at all.

What can I do about this? It's too much.

Orderly shut down, I don't understand, but I've seen shut downs or reboots on USB insertion and removal. If the pins are bent the 5V in the USB connector gets shorted. This should NOT cause a shutdown since the USB 5V is supposed to be limited in how much it can draw, but I've seen it happen on my old PC at work.

Visually examine the sockets and devices you are plugging in (flashlight and magnifying glass.)

Does it happen on ever USB socket? Do all your USB devices cause shutdown or just one?
If you can isolate a pattern ti will tell you which connector could be bad.

And the other WAG - if the shut down wiring from the case switch to the MB is loose, missing wire, etc. You could be getting a surge on USB removal that looks like an Off command. This idea is really reaching though.

Ok, one other idea related to the above. It's possible the case switch is activating when you pull the USB drive out. Look for shorts to the metal case on the wires running fromt he switch or around the switch itself if it is clsoe to the USB ports.

Hmm, I didnt see anythign wrong, but it's pretty tight and inaccessible up at the front of the case, it's all tucked into a little area behind the hard drive rack and encased in plastic, so it's hard to see what's what in there. I don't know :s

i will examine the sockets and report back.

Try reseating the plugs on the motherboard. Make sure they aren't upside down.

The USB connector has the serial data link pin plus pins for power and ground. Typically USB ports use a 4 or 8 pin connector at the MB. If you have the MB connector on backwards you will short power when you plug the USB device in. This could cause a reset.

But you said the issue was when you pull the thumb drive out so the headers should be ok.

Have you tried other devices on the same USB socket? The results will help figure out whether the problem is in the thumb drive or the computer.

other devices seem to work fine, and oddly enough, this particular drive works fine on other computers, so im not sure what the issue still would be. :S

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back