computer running slow.

Let me guess - this all stated after you installed the Critical Windows Update 811493 (Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling).

I've heard two things that have worked to put the speed back into your system - delete the prefetch and reboot and if that doesn't help - uninstall the critical update 811493.

Originally posted by SmokingWeed3000
can u please compare my screenshots to yr services and tell me which ones u think that I need to enable?

thanks again

sorry m8 I have no idea what service is causing the slowdown > all the important services are up & running

its happened to me a few times in the early days of XP > I would regularly tweak XP into stupid mode & couldn't get it to function properly again.

ended up having to do a repair install

:huh:

edit

thanks for the input DY not heard of that one B4
if its not one thing its another

posted by damnyank
Let me guess - this all stated after you installed the Critical Windows Update 811493 (Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling).

I've heard two things that have worked to put the speed back into your system - delete the prefetch and reboot and if that doesn't help - uninstall the critical update 811493.

Better not delete the prefetch. DY did you read this thread at TweakXP posted by J79zlr? His system and those of two others became unbootable by doing it.
Better stay away of this update, I guess.

DamnYank is right! Uninstall the critical update ( 811493). I was eXPeriencing the same problem and got rid of the update. I am now back to true Windows XP - P4 performance. That update is of questionable content anyway.:)

strange how deleting prefetch can cause such problems ??

if they hadnt of deleted it > when XP gets to its 3 day cycle any programs not used get their prefetch file deleted

that would be like having a time bomb

wouldnt be the first time an update has caused a problem > so thats another patch to fix to the update

makes you wonder what the hells going on @ M$

Originally posted by damnyank

that might be it, let me try to uninstall it and Ill tell u if my comp is back to normal.

Glad I could pass the info on - but the help came from somewhere else I go that a few of our regulars know about! ;)

no yoyo I had not seen J79zlr's post (I was following Bold's) and I got gutty this morning and deleted my prefetch and rebooted (about three different times) without any problems and so far have not had anymore slowness. I'm curious so I'll give it another day and then delete 811493 to play it safe.

Originally posted by SnookBooger
DamnYank is right! Uninstall the critical update ( 811493). I was eXPeriencing the same problem and got rid of the update. I am now back to true Windows XP - P4 performance. That update is of questionable content anyway.:)

Ha, weird. I installed that junk-o-update and it slowed me down also.

I uninstalled it on a whim and I'm back to full speed [ahead]

I'm glad that I never installed that update. BTW, is there a thread or section somewhere in these forums that discusses the newest updates and whether or not they should be installed?

Have you sen this on warp2search ?

Windows XP Patch 811493 Causes System Slowdown Workaround

HERE

I installed 811493 when it first came out and have not had any side affects...Odd.

I am not sure if i read it correct...but are they blaming some anti-virus programs ?.

As i do not have mine running on auto.....i just scan whatever i download (using sygate pro)....may be a reason why i am not affected.

Yeah you read it correct. They always blaim the anti virus programs and they are most of time not the cause. Also, I didnt see NAV on the list and thats what I have.

My Norton AV was totally disabled and the patch still caused system slow-down. Uninstalled patch and all back to normal.

I think this was referring to NAV in the article - and if they are running Norton they will need to disable the auto protect service -anyway, I have uninstalled 811943 and I am P4'ing along fine again.

I don't see much sense disabling my auto-protect so I can have their update - beside afte going back and reading everything I can find on the update itself - it almost sounds (to me) like since I am on a stand alone system it shouldn't apply to me and thus (IMHO) should have not even popped up as a "critical update" afte scanning my system!

Bottom line is still that it appears everyone has gotten it sorted now!:D

LOL yep same here damn thing made my puter run like my old p2 lolol :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back