Computer reboots at startup

Yes the Pause button is on the keyboard. It is right next to the ScrLK (scroll lock) button and the PrtScn (print screen) button. Probably towards the top right of the keyboard.

Do you know what type of file system you used the first time you installed... i.e. FAT32, NTFS...? Can you also give me a quick run-down on your system; how large is your HDD, what kind of video card and have you done anything to your computer recently; bumped it, opened it up, installed any new programs?

2,048MB is a rather small partition for XP; I'm not sure exactly but that could also be causing problems. Do you have an old win98 boot disc that you could start the computer with to see how full the partition is exactly?

This is an extract from XP Inside-Out (Microsoft Press)
Quote: -
When all attempts to repair your system fail, you may be able to repair your Windows XP installation using the Windows Set-up program. As a last resort, you can reinstall Windows over an existing installation and hope that the new installation will recover enough of your old settings to allow you to retrieve your data files.
The repair option is quick and painless and typically does not adversely affect user settings. To exercise this option, start from the Windows CD as if you were going to do a clean install. It’s easy to become confused during this process, because the word repair appears in two different places when you start your computer using the Windows CD. At the Welcome To Set-up screen, do not choose the option to repair your installation using the Recovery Console. Instead, press Enter, which starts the Windows Set-up program. After you accept the license agreement, Windows searches your system for existing Windows installations. When you reach the screen that lists your current Windows installation, select it from the list and press R to start the repair process. The remainder of this procedure requires the same steps as if you were performing a clean installation; when Setup finishes, your system files should be refreshed and your existing data and settings should be accessible again.
In cases of severe disk damage or registry corruption, a repair installation will not be effective; the only alternative is to reformat the disk and install a clean copy of Windows.
End quote.

I know from my own experiences (pun) that this does not always behave or work properly, sometimes you will lose all your settings, sometimes all data stored in XP-Home secure folders (user) will be lost. There isn’t much you can do from the recovery console if you can’t boot into safe mode.

Originally posted by Landrvr
Do you know what type of file system you used the first time you installed... i.e. FAT32, NTFS...? Can you also give me a quick run-down on your system; how large is your HDD, what kind of video card and have you done anything to your computer recently; bumped it, opened it up, installed any new programs?

2,048MB is a rather small partition for XP; I'm not sure exactly but that could also be causing problems. Do you have an old win98 boot disc that you could start the computer with to see how full the partition is exactly?

File System: NTFS
Hard Disk Size: 1st HDD - 15 GB = 1st Partition: 2 GB, 2nd Partition: 13 GB; 2nd HDD - 60 GB
Video Card: MSI-8817 Geforce 2 MX/400

I'm definitely sure that the 2048 MB partition is not causing the problem because how could I install Windows XP to it in the first place, and have it work even after updating it and having new drivers for things installed a while ago. Anyways, Windows XP only requires about 980 MB + about 400 MB for a pagefile.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back