Computer Re-Starts

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kingsam, Oct 7, 2002.

1. kingsam

kingsam OSNN Addict

I have installed a new motherboard, and installed XP but pc
    keeps restarting at various time intervals, CPU normal temp.
    I have 2 hard drives of which one is very hot.

Any help please !:mad:

2. rettahc

rettahc Guest

Goto control panel->system->Start up & recovery, and uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart" This way you will hopefully get a blue screen and an error message, so you can see whats going wrong.

Of course it could be that you've got a bad motherboard, I just replaced the one in my sister computer, which was doing the same thing yours is.

3. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

check the voltage to the cpu on the mother board, maybe you can set it lower or higher in bios, i had this problem and lowering the voltage a bit solved it...

4. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

I think something might just be overheating...

5. jcs83md

jcs83md Guest

Open up Event Viewer under Adminstrative Tools. Narrow down a time where a restart occurs and look for an exclamation point near that time. I had the same problem and an error message in Event Viewer revealed that the polling rate on my mouse was too high (of course it didn't say that, it simply pointed to some kind of mouse failure). I would've never figured that out on my own, and thats years of troubleshooting talking.

6. kingsam

kingsam OSNN Addict

Disabled the auto restart,the pc still had probls,all voltages ok,cpu temp 56c.
    Has worked ok,in the last couple of days.....strange?
    someone has told me could be my memory,512mb stick (unbranded),and 256mb (crucial) ddr.What do you think.should i try taking one of the memory sticks out and see how i get on?
    Many thanks for the advice & help!!;)

7. kingsam

kingsam OSNN Addict

Well i talking that up up! It just restarted again and came up with some error message(blue screen),it was something like this
    stop 9x000008e,etc,etc
    win32.sys. address bf875fo base at bf8000 etc.
    any suggestions,oh and i 've took out the 512ddr memory stick(cheap generic)to see if that make any difference.
    help!:mad:

8. rettahc

rettahc Guest

When it happens again write down the exact error code. I did a search for stop 9x000008e and found nothing.

9. krimson

krimson Guest

Sounds real familiar. See my post a little earlier. I think I have found my problem. I have 3 sticks 256 mb crucial ddr. I removed one at a time until I had one left. The last one in wouldn't even finish booting up my machine. Popped in the other stick, boom came right up. Popped in the second stick, has stayed stable every since. So far, so good. Try eliminating ram, it's fast and easy.