Computer problem that is annoying me.. hardware I think

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
ok guys heres the deal,

friend bought a pc 2nd hand works fine its a p4 2.4 some dodgy mobo,256mb ddr 333, althought mobo is 266mhz ;/. anyways, it started to act funny after, artifacts and sorts. as i touched the northbridge it was really hot (passive cooling) so i added a 4cm fan. now problem gone.

Ok then it happend again a week later, and reading on the net it said something about maybe powersupply not good so instead of buying a PSU i bought the soprano with a 430 watt psu with it. btw the old one was 240watts.

ok now the problem, after swapping the parts it went ok but it wont beep (aka post). no screen no nothing. after some jiggling it works for a while so i switch it off to plug in all the fans/cdrom/hdd but now it is not working copletely.

so my problem is now: no beep even if i try to make it beep (removed ram, removed vga) what do u guys think is the problem? pls dont tell me its the mobo because if i do change it means i have to change the cpu :(. please guys u guys know any reasons why it wont beep and yes the internal speakers are plugged in and also no POST or display.

Re: Computer problem that is annoying me....;( (hardware i think)

did you put the old PSU back in to see if the new one is faulty ?

Make sure you don’t have a standoff grounding out the board.

Also check to make sure the standoffs are tall enough, there may be a bead of solder making contact with the new case.

Standoffs could easily do this, as could a not so good PSU. Your new one might be rated at 430w, but it might be the equivelant of a high end 230w as far as power balancing.

Did you ground yourself when you transfered the parts? Static electricity can be very harmful, you did say that it worked for a little while - but did you ground yourself when you went back in to connect the fans/drives?

Do the fans spin up when power switch is pressed?
IF not check:
-if the MB needs/has the 4 pin Intel PS connector inserted or the 20/24 pin PSU connector.
-motherboard seating as above, When you plug/unplug the PSU connectors it can shift the MB and short power at the standoffs. Loosen all screws and make sure the screw heads are centered in the pads on the MB.
-Try the old PSU and see if that works.

If the fans work then watch and see if the kybd lights flash at power on.
-That indicates POST is running even if it doesn't beep.

If no fans or post with both PSU's then pull the MB out of the case, lay it on an insulated surface (cardboard, wood, etc) and see if it powers up there.
-If it does something is shorting the MB to the case.

PS Artifacts are a video problem. It sounds like it is built in video on the MB. That indicates a MB problem.

Do the fans spin up when power switch is pressed?
IF not check:
-if the MB needs/has the 4 pin Intel PS connector inserted or the 20/24 pin PSU connector.
-motherboard seating as above, When you plug/unplug the PSU connectors it can shift the MB and short power at the standoffs. Loosen all screws and make sure the screw heads are centered in the pads on the MB.
-Try the old PSU and see if that works.

If the fans work then watch and see if the kybd lights flash at power on.
-That indicates POST is running even if it doesn't beep.

If no fans or post with both PSU's then pull the MB out of the case, lay it on an insulated surface (cardboard, wood, etc) and see if it powers up there.
-If it does something is shorting the MB to the case.

ok both northbridge fan and cpu fan spin. still did not post inside case, took it outside of case on insulated surface and it still the same, power up but no beep/post or anything. :( is the motherboard dead? erm btw the mobo doesnt have a name, one of those china brands i think. sigh a 478 as well, dont think they sell/make those nemore. if it is indeed the board or cpu i have to change both...bahh

did you put the old PSU back in to see if the new one is faulty ?

Try this ^ if it don’t help change the Motherboard battery.

ok swapped motherboard and it didnt work with another cpu/ram/psu. Went out to buy an amd 64 939 to replace with a new motherboard. sigh oh well, thx for the help anyways u guys reps to all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back