Computer lags

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dee dee, Oct 17, 2004.

1. dee dee

dee dee OSNN Junior Addict

Hi All
    My problem is after doing a clean install of xp home and applying sp2 and all updates, my computer lags when i open folders for Example double click on a folder and its not instant responce the click sound lags behind, same when i click the back arrow, sound of click lags behind the action.
    Im using latest Nvidia forceware drivers and directx 9c, i had 9b prire to sp2 install. Does any bright spark have any clues to why this could be happening
    Would be much appciated
    Thanks for now
    Dee
    Xp Home sp2
    Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti 200 64mb
    768mb Ram
    Directx 9c

2. Kush

Kush High On Life!

when was the last time you defragmented your computer, btw what cpu is it? also check that you dont have spy/adware, by download sd-aware se
    from
    www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

3. dee dee

Hi Thanks for the quick reply
    I've have just defraged the h drive, finnished in about 5mins. Cpu is Amd Athlon 1.3. This happend to me the last time i did a complete install of xp, i Think for some reason it was related to video, directx. I've tried nocking the exceleration tab back in display properties trouble shooter but its not doing much at all. I shall keep trying
    Thanks
    I will post when its sorted
    Cheers
    Dee

4. Kush

Kush High On Life!

why did u defrag the h drive? shouldnt u defragment your c:\? btw which program are u using to defragment, u should use perfect disk its the best one, u can get a free trial, www.raxco.com, do a smart placement defrag and an offline defragment

5. dee dee

computer lag

Hi
    Sorry you got confused h drive short for hard drive, I can live with the windows defrag thanks, still not able to sort this its very laggy, boot time is quicker with sp2 i'll say that.
    Back to the drawing board
    See ya
    Dee

6. Kush

Kush High On Life!

no u cant live the with windows defrag, it sucks and thats probably why its lagging, i havent use the windows defrag in about 3 years

7. Chase™

Chase™ NTFS Noob

what size is your hard drive and what antivirus software are u using?

8. dee dee

Hi
    I'm using two 40gb hard drives, and using Norton Antivirus v8, in answer to the defrag in xp it has never been a problem before, i know its not very good to most people but in the time i've used xp it has never been the cause of lags why would it now?
    Regards]
    Dee

9. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

That is your problem .. ;)

10. Kush

Kush High On Life!

how old is that? lol, might want to upgrade sometime in the near future, unless im mistaken and thats a new version?

11. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Well I use NAV 2003 and its v9.05.15

12. dee dee

computer dont lag no more

Hi
    Thanks for all the replys, it turned out to be a bad video driver install,
    just reinstalled nvidia driver and all has returned to normal thank god.
    Nav 8 i have used since i've had the computer about 2 years and have never
    had any problems with it only one or two times not updating but delete stuff in the common files folder cured this, never had any problems with defrag causing this much lag so it was a bad video driver install all along.
    Best Regards
    Dee