Computer freezing problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by masaki, Mar 6, 2003.

1. masaki

masaki Guest

Here's how my system is setup:

Abit KG7 (BIOS flashed to latest version)
    AMD AthlonXP 1700+
    768MB PC2100 DDR RAM
    Primary IDE
    >[master]IBM 60GXP HDD
    >> Drive C: 24.4GB NTFS (OS)
    >> Drive D: 32.8GB NTFS (Data)
    >[slave]IBM 60GXP HDD
    >> Drive V: 57.2GB NTFS (dedicated to video editing)
    Secondary IDE
    >[master]Sony DVD burner DRU-500A
    >[slave]Sony DVD-ROM DDU1621
    Ati Radeon 8500 64MB
    Creative SB Audigy

Running Windows XP

The problem I'm experiencing is that whenever I'm rendering a video clip (source file and output file reside on V:), the computer would freeze in the process. Both IDE channels have DMA enabled.

The program I'm using to edit my video is ShowBiz (bundled with the DVD burner).

I have tried to move the hard drives to separate channels and changed to PIO mode (the rendering process gets farther) and still freezes.

Can anybody help please???? I have no idea how to fix this problem.
  2. jkipk

jkipk OSNN Addict

any software conflicts? have you tried shutting down anything else that's running?

just a place to start....

3. masaki

masaki Guest

Yes, I've tried shutting down all other running programs. I also tried booting to Safe mode and do the rendering there but the computer still freezes everytime I try.
  4. labig

labig Guest

if it worked before try a systeme restore
  5. masaki

masaki Guest

Unfortunately, it's never worked before. The computer almost always freezes when rendering/playing videos. I used to play Counter-Strike and the computer froze ocassionally too.
  6. sparky

sparky OSNN Addict

what size is your power supply, it may be getting a little taxed
    need at least 350 watts or so
    worth a look
  7. Indomidable

Indomidable Guest

Check out the Some Ideas post

I missed the new reply button by a bit and that terrible new topic one was what I hit.:D
  8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Sacramento, CA
    or it could be a temperature issue..? :huh:
  9. masaki

masaki Guest

I have a 350 watts power supply. The temperature for the processor is constantly at 35°C. Motherboard at 22°C and chassis at 38°C.
  10. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

Might be something wrong with the hard drive I have a western digital that would freeze if so much information was written to it something past like the 5gig mark I think it was. didn't matter how big or small the file was if it went over the 5 gig makr on the drive it froze my computer so I took it outside and pounded it!:eek: :D :p :confused: :huh:
  11. masaki

masaki Guest

I can transfer videos from my DV camera using Firewire onto drive V: without any problem though. The files are often more than 6GB.

Could it be the motherboard? I tried the RAM on my friends' computers and they worked just fine.

I just reinstalled XP SP1 from scratch and still freezes................:(
  12. masaki

masaki Guest

I bought a Gigabyte 7VAXP Ultra today and the freezing problem is completely gone.... :) the video is rendering at 33% right now and still going good. Thanks to everyone who gave me a hand to fix the problem :)

This mobo kicks ass :D
  13. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Sacramento, CA
    when in doubt... spend money! :D

very nice board, too.