Computer died on me, dont know why.

MC82

Procrastinator
hey guys I got a problem, I usually leave my comp on 24/7. I came back from work today and found my computer off (which is really strange). I tried pressing the on switch but nothing happens.

Im not sure what the cause may be. The light on the Motherboard is on so this must mean that the powersupply is fine. I havent overclocked at all. I dont know how to find my problem.

about 2 months ago i just upgraded my computer to a:
athlon 64 3500+ (90nm)
I have 4 HD running, two SATA
I have a good heatsink
465w powersupply

can anyone help me? I really need to find the problem so I can get back to working on my comp.

Could it be that the processor fried? How could i tell?

well even if the cpu is fried the system could still turn on, you could try unplugging the computer and plug it back in after like 5 seconds, if you want to know if your cpu is fried take a smell on it

Maybe there was a brief power outage while you were gone....Enough to turn off the PC and maybe mess up the bios. Try unplugging the power supply, take out motherboard battery and clear CMOS.

I am thinking maybe a real quick on-off-on surge that could have messed up the bios.

ok ill give it a try, thanks guys, ill let you know it works...

I really appreciate the quick reply

So I reset the BIOS but it still did not start up, everytime I unplug the power and replug it in, then i switch the power on, the LED flashes but does not stay on. If i try pressing the on switch nothing happens again.

hmm... i would say try turning whatever surge protector, or whatever you use, off for a few seconds then on again, but i doubt that'd work. still worth a try though. i suggested this cause my surge protector gave me quite a scare once after a power outage kicked the computer off. sat around for quite a while thinking to myself "what fried, what fried, what fried?' looked down.... thought "what the hell". turned my surge protector off then on, and computer turned right on. guess some surge protectors have a manual reset that won't let power run through it unless it's turned off manually or somethin, i dunno. worth a shot.

something is shorting out - or there is too much power on load. Most PSU's these days have a saftey cut out. Unplug all your hdd's and power on see what happens. if it works add them back one at a time. If it still works great, if not you need a bigger or better quality psu

then i switch the power on, the LED flashes but does not stay on. If i try pressing the on switch nothing happens again.

My bet is the Power Supply.

See if you can get your hands on one to test.

I tried unplugging each of them and booting it with only one HD plugged in, but still no luck.

I dont get how it can be the PS when it was working fine for the last two months

albybum said:
My bet is the Power Supply.

See if you can get your hands on one to test.

yes i agree ... powersupply. see if you can get one loaned to you by a friend or something and only plug in the mobo and hardrive. you dont even need to take your other one out ..just unplug everything.

After smelling both my PS and CPU, im certain its my PS that burned out. Now my question is that if I was running a Enermax 468W PS and it burns out, how much power do i need? Do i have to buy the Antec 550w or is the Antec 480w enough power?

also since i took my heatsink off my psu, does that mean that I have to take off the artic silver that I do have on it and reapply?

thanks for the help guys, at least since its the PSU i can just go to Bestbuy and buy a new one today and get working today.

MC82 said:
I dont get how it can be the PS when it was working fine for the last two months
Things break dude, it's the way the world works. ;) Usually it's in the first two months though. This does sound like the PSU. You could unplug the PSU completely, plug it in, and the short pins 13 and 14 (14 being green if I remember correctly). This should start the PSU up (fan spinning) if it's working. If it's working, something else is making trouble.

MC82 said:
After smelling both my PS and CPU, im certain its my PS that burned out. Now my question is that if I was running a Enermax 468W PS and it burns out, how much power do i need? Do i have to buy the Antec 550w or is the Antec 480w enough power?
You'd do well even with a 400W on that system. It didn't burn out due to overload (unless something shorted), that's for sure.

Well most of todays powersupplies are designed to "take the hit" in the event of a power/votage surge or brownout and save the rest of your system. Good rule of thumb for buying a PSU, get the most wattage you can afford. The price difference between 400W and 600W is only about $50-$70. Just think of it as an investment on the future, your PSU will be the one component you won't have to worry about upgrading in the future.

First we make sure it's just the power supply. Unplug all power connectors (HD, FANs, MB, etc). Put a metal paperclip between the green wire and the black one next to it on the power connector taht goes to the MB. Turn on the power supply and if the fan spins up and stays on it is probably good. No fan means new power supply time.

If the supply is good you need to strip your system down and build it up one part at a time to isolate the bad component. Start with PS and MB, then PS-MB-CPU, then PS-CPU-MB-RAM and so on. Each time you power up the fan should spin up.

Power Advice-
Screw the bigger is better nonsense. A 400-450 Enermax or Antec is fine for your system as long as it has at least 18A on the +12V rating. Get a good quality surge protector instead of a bigger supply, or even a good UPS if you plan to leave the computer on 24/7.

If it wasn't a surge that took out the power supply then it was an infant mortality failure. **** happens (I have dozens of stories if you're really bored). Even to Enermax and Antec. Good news is Enermax will replace the power supply. Bad news is it will take weeks to months. You get to buy a new supply in the mean time. But will have a spere if this ever happens again. Check the newspaper ads tomorrow morning. Someone will usually have a good Antec on sale. Don't forget the surge protector.

And cross your fingers that the supply protected the rest of your system.

LeeJend said:
Put a metal paperclip between the green wire and the black one next to it on the power connector taht goes to the MB. Turn on the power supply and if the fan spins up and stays on it is probably good.

Not necessarily :p

I have a nice large shelf of dead power supplies that says differently. Just because there is enough power to trip the circuit, doesn't mean that everything is A-Ok. I have countless Power Supplies that will fire up, but do not maintain stable power on all rails. They will start, but fail in a power supply tester.

my experience here is not a happy one :( - a week b4 Christmas 2003 my PC had the exact same problem, and I (stupidly) tried keeping the power button pressed.... can you guess the result???

Anyways, my PS flashed, smoked, and ruined my (sigh, cry, panic) mainboard, memory, CPU, hard disks, CD burner, DVD drive, keyboard and mouse!!!!

coincidentally, I experienced the same problem a week b4 Christmas 2004 (I hope this is not gonna be a tradition - I immediately disconnected my PC, bought a new PS and @ home put in the replacement - problem solved @ a lot lower price than the 2003 problem...

I learned my (expensive) lesson well, and hereby try to prevent others from making the same mistake...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back