Compress old files

Dubbin1

I Like Cheese
When I do a disc cleanup it will no longer clean up my compressed old files. Anyone know a fix for this?

812248 - Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches

On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.

Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volume Caches

Delete the Compress old files registry key.

Originally posted by Dubbin1
When I do a disc cleanup it will no longer clean up my compressed old files. Anyone know a fix for this?

It doesn't clean up old compressed files, it compresses old files. Double-click on this option to max out the number of days windows will wait to decide whether to compress older files. The max number is '500' days. In my opinion if you haven't accessed a file in 500 days then the ******* deserves to get compressed. heh heh, LOL :D Default is '50' days, but you could end up compressing files that you need, so I recommend maxxing it out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back