Complete Windows XP harddisk Backup

B

Buggerlugs

Anyone had any success with software which can completely backup your entire harddisk, windows xp and all to cdr?

I`m after a solution that will allow me to format, put cd in and get everything back.

I do not have, nor ever will have a floppy drive in my pc.

Idea`s anyone?

Norton Ghost works very well. You can make a bootable CD with it so there will be no need for an "a: drive".
But I use PowerQuest's Drive Image pro as its more compatable with my burner.

I use Drive Image 2002 and use bootable floppies in case I can not get into XP - however I believe you can create a bootable cd in Nero!

I know there are others far wiser than I on the forum!

Originally posted by catch23
I used Drive Image 2002...works great...and you don't even have to have the program installed to make a backup...

As a new user of DI2002 - could you provide a little more info re: "don't need program installed to make a b/u??"

:confused:

So - let me see if I follow you (please bear with this dummy) - you end up with a bootable cd that will install windows and nothing more.

From here you can go ahead and restore any of the partitions (or perhaps I should use any other images, be it software or whatever, that you choose) that you have previously saved to whatever media you have chosen.

Am I with ya - or did this dummy get lost???

If I got it right - thanx!

WOW (not shouting) - awesome - this old man learned something today - many thanx!!

Yes, that's correct. That, in fact, is a primary use of Ghost & Drive Image - transferring the precise image of your current drive(s) to one or more new drive(s) (or the same one in the event of melt-down) - partition information and all. Easlily done from the bootable floppies.

ghost works in a similar way, just need to create the floppy disk to run ghost from in DOS, and you're away.

How long does it take to restore the image to a new hard drive if my old one died? my old drive is 20 gigs.

I`m certainly interested in Powerquest drive image 2002 but can it do the following.

1. Completely backup widows xp pro off 1 partition to a bootable cdr.

2. Boot from that cdr, format to my liking and then reinstall everything?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back