Complete Windows XP harddisk Backup

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Buggerlugs, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Guest

Anyone had any success with software which can completely backup your entire harddisk, windows xp and all to cdr?

I`m after a solution that will allow me to format, put cd in and get everything back.

I do not have, nor ever will have a floppy drive in my pc.

Idea`s anyone?

2. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

not really:( ....
    buh im sure some other ppl knw
    i kinda need this too

3. redman

redman Guest

Norton Ghost works very well. You can make a bootable CD with it so there will be no need for an "a: drive".
    But I use PowerQuest's Drive Image pro as its more compatable with my burner.

4. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

I use Drive Image 2002 and use bootable floppies in case I can not get into XP - however I believe you can create a bootable cd in Nero!

I know there are others far wiser than I on the forum!

5. damnyank

As a new user of DI2002 - could you provide a little more info re: "don't need program installed to make a b/u??"

:confused:

6. damnyank

So - let me see if I follow you (please bear with this dummy) - you end up with a bootable cd that will install windows and nothing more.

From here you can go ahead and restore any of the partitions (or perhaps I should use any other images, be it software or whatever, that you choose) that you have previously saved to whatever media you have chosen.

Am I with ya - or did this dummy get lost???

If I got it right - thanx!

7. damnyank

WOW (not shouting) - awesome - this old man learned something today - many thanx!!

8. allan

allan Guest

Yes, that's correct. That, in fact, is a primary use of Ghost & Drive Image - transferring the precise image of your current drive(s) to one or more new drive(s) (or the same one in the event of melt-down) - partition information and all. Easlily done from the bootable floppies.

9. Daedalus

Daedalus Guest

ghost works in a similar way, just need to create the floppy disk to run ghost from in DOS, and you're away.

10. Black_Pride

Black_Pride OSNN Addict

How long does it take to restore the image to a new hard drive if my old one died? my old drive is 20 gigs.

11. redman

redman Guest

Usually takes me about 20 minutes - Start to finish

12. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Guest

Anyone had any success with NTI backup now 2002?

13. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Guest

I`m certainly interested in Powerquest drive image 2002 but can it do the following.

1. Completely backup widows xp pro off 1 partition to a bootable cdr.

2. Boot from that cdr, format to my liking and then reinstall everything?