complete lockup

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bowers6, Mar 31, 2002.

1. bowers6

bowers6 Guest

Hi my system has just started to lockup on me after about 15 - 20 mins.
    Doesn't matter what program i am running when it happens just completley grinds to a halt. No error messages.
    Checked everything is fitted tightly to motherboard
    temprature is ok
    Can't do sfc check because it locks before it ever finishes.
    Anyone have any ideas.
    System is amd 1.2 ghz
    500mb ram
    k7vza motherboard
    fujitsu 20gb h.d
    creative 5.1 sound card
    1* network card
    philips cdrw
    lg dvd
    i have tried to repair xp using the c.d but usually it never works and I end up having to do clean install. Anyway of knowing if it's a hardware fault or xp fault.
    cheers Steve

2. stapler101

stapler101 Guest

I bet it is hardware. Unplug every drive except harddrive and unistall all. Reboot and run this "bare" system and see what happens. Then hook up your drives one at a time, run a while and see which one causes the prob. Also, I would take a look at my ram and my ram settings in bios. If you have more than one stick, try with one in, others out.
    I have had the best luck reinstalling with only the bare minimum of hardware installed and then adding one at a time, just like in the old 95 and 98 days.
    one other thought, do you have all the updates installed from the microsoft site?

3. bowers6

bowers6 Guest

lockup

Cheers will try that if it happens again.
    As quickly as it started it has stopped and been runnning for a few hours now without locking up.All updates have been done.
    Just strange how it started I had not changed any thing was just bruning some cd's last night.
    tried cooling with a big fan but no difference.
    checked all the cables and boards but now it is working.
    system restore would not work at all what is the point of that if it does not allway to to go back to any restore point???
    So fingers crossed whatever it was has gone away again but I would feel better if I knew what had caused it.....
    Thanks for your tip...
    Steve

4. bowers6

bowers6 Guest

cure

just to let you know would would appear to have been a faulty graphics driver that was locking it up.
    Rolled back the driver for nvida 2 mx400 graphics card back to the xp version and it has stopped locking!!
    I was surprised it was this!!!
    Steve:D

5. stapler101

stapler101 Guest

Wow! Glad you solved it. I know that certain video cards and drivers can be troulble makers.
    Good luck in the future.