complete lockup

B

bowers6

Hi my system has just started to lockup on me after about 15 - 20 mins.
Doesn't matter what program i am running when it happens just completley grinds to a halt. No error messages.
Checked everything is fitted tightly to motherboard
temprature is ok
Can't do sfc check because it locks before it ever finishes.
Anyone have any ideas.
System is amd 1.2 ghz
500mb ram
k7vza motherboard
fujitsu 20gb h.d
creative 5.1 sound card
1* network card
philips cdrw
lg dvd
i have tried to repair xp using the c.d but usually it never works and I end up having to do clean install. Anyway of knowing if it's a hardware fault or xp fault.
cheers Steve

I bet it is hardware. Unplug every drive except harddrive and unistall all. Reboot and run this "bare" system and see what happens. Then hook up your drives one at a time, run a while and see which one causes the prob. Also, I would take a look at my ram and my ram settings in bios. If you have more than one stick, try with one in, others out.
I have had the best luck reinstalling with only the bare minimum of hardware installed and then adding one at a time, just like in the old 95 and 98 days.
one other thought, do you have all the updates installed from the microsoft site?

lockup

Cheers will try that if it happens again.
As quickly as it started it has stopped and been runnning for a few hours now without locking up.All updates have been done.
Just strange how it started I had not changed any thing was just bruning some cd's last night.
tried cooling with a big fan but no difference.
checked all the cables and boards but now it is working.
system restore would not work at all what is the point of that if it does not allway to to go back to any restore point???
So fingers crossed whatever it was has gone away again but I would feel better if I knew what had caused it.....
Thanks for your tip...
Steve

cure

just to let you know would would appear to have been a faulty graphics driver that was locking it up.
Rolled back the driver for nvida 2 mx400 graphics card back to the xp version and it has stopped locking!!
I was surprised it was this!!!
Steve:D

Wow! Glad you solved it. I know that certain video cards and drivers can be troulble makers.
Good luck in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back