Compact Flash and WinXP?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Tharsis, May 15, 2002.

1. Tharsis

Tharsis Guest

Anybody:

Need help in getting WinXP Home on new Sony VAIO GR390
    notebook to recognize my Compact Flash card. Using a SanDisk CF
    PC Card Adapter. According to SanDisk FAQ, CF storage not supported in NT 4.0. I this true for XP as well? Do I need 3rd party software to make it work? On older Sony notebook with Win98SE the card worked fine....

Thanks for any help!
    Thar.

2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

I'm not 100% understanding where does your CF adapter plug into the computer? my compact flash adapter came with drivers, but I didn't have to use them as winXP auto detected the adapter and everything works fine, it just mounts the card as a removable drive when I plug it in

3. Tharsis

Tharsis Guest

Qumahlin:

The SanDisk CF PC Card Adapter ( with the CF card in the Adapter) goes in either one of the two PC Card slots on the VAIO
    notebook computer. This is similar to my 3 yr old VAIO F-160
    with Win98SE. On that system, after a few seconds and an audible "beep" the CF card is recognized as a removable drive. However, this doesn't occur with WinXP on the new VAIO GR390? Am I missing something? I have one physical HDD on the GR390 that was factory partioned as C and D. Would the CF card show up therefore as E ? For what it's worth, the first time I inserted the adapter, WinXP showed that new hardware was detected, so i thought it was working fine. Still, the card doesn't show up anywhere or at least I can't find it?? Maybe I should try a USB CF reader hardware device instead?

Thar.