Compact Flash and WinXP?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Tharsis, May 15, 2002.

1. Tharsis

Tharsis Guest

Need help in getting WinXP Home on new Sony VAIO GR390
    notebook to recognize my Compact Flash card. Using a SanDisk CF
    PC Card Adapter. According to SanDisk FAQ, CF storage not supported in NT 4.0. I this true for XP as well? Do I need 3rd party software to make it work? On older Sony notebook with Win98SE the card worked fine....

Thanks for any help!
  2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

I'm not 100% understanding where does your CF adapter plug into the computer? my compact flash adapter came with drivers, but I didn't have to use them as winXP auto detected the adapter and everything works fine, it just mounts the card as a removable drive when I plug it in
  3. Tharsis

Tharsis Guest

The SanDisk CF PC Card Adapter ( with the CF card in the Adapter) goes in either one of the two PC Card slots on the VAIO
    notebook computer. This is similar to my 3 yr old VAIO F-160
    with Win98SE. On that system, after a few seconds and an audible "beep" the CF card is recognized as a removable drive. However, this doesn't occur with WinXP on the new VAIO GR390? Am I missing something? I have one physical HDD on the GR390 that was factory partioned as C and D. Would the CF card show up therefore as E ? For what it's worth, the first time I inserted the adapter, WinXP showed that new hardware was detected, so i thought it was working fine. Still, the card doesn't show up anywhere or at least I can't find it?? Maybe I should try a USB CF reader hardware device instead?