comp locking up

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by seperatist, Jun 27, 2006.

1. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

my friend is using his pc for home recording. he is using tracktion for the recording software. whenever he renders a song or tries to play a song the comp freezes midway through the song. you can hear a loud buzz from the song locking up. i thought maybe it was a bad ram chip as we ran memtest and it returned a lot of errors but he just did the swap trick and the same error happens with both chips separate and together. there is no overclocking on his system. his system was working great up until about a month ago. after an autoupdate which we removed thinking it caused the problem.

he is using a delta44 card, with a breakout box and an audiobuddy preamp. he has an asus motherboard, not sure the exact model but i know it's not nforce.

any ideas of what could be the problem?

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

If memtest returned a lot of errors, I would start with replacing the RAM. Unless the tests returned errors on certain channels or banks (which would indicate specific modules), then it's best to replace both since you have already tried them both seperately. Did you try the RAM in different slots as well?

Another thing to consider, is that again, since memtest returned errors, I would think the autoupdate is not related to the issue at hand.

3. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

could ram be the reason why it is locking up?