Comcast has a 250 gig limit on internet

All I can say, is I have no intention of going with Comcrap ever again. The last time I had them was when I was in New Mexico. At the time I was a full time student, my father had a stroke, and I ended up having to drop out of school. But with the cable bill no longer maneagable; they played games where even with service cancelled/discontinued, they decided to continue billing me regardless. Then they come back, and are like "well we want $1,000 now".

And this was after another billing dispute where I had a package deal for the premium channels for a year, at a discounted rate. Final month, they double billed me for the entire month under both rates. When I went down, the desk clerk actually tried to argue that a double billing is reasonable, because the discount period ended mid month. So I asked why they don't just break up the month, and pro-rate it, so the portion under the discount, is discounted, and full price is payed for the other portion of the month. The person argued "oh we can't do that, our systems aren't setup. So I was like, well at the very least you could just charge the full price for the month once, and not double bill. And the person was like "no, we owe you a discount so". And I'm there like "well it isn't much of a discount if the discount amount is $95, the full cost is $115, and you want me to pay $210 for a single month now. The person either intentionally or due to some sort of mental deficency didn't seem to get it.

And this cap (at the time I had cable and DSL through a different provider), which is something I had heard about a long time back; gives me all the more reason to not want to grace them with my business. I actually knew a friend back then, who knew someone who worked for Comcrap. And when I told him what they were doing, he essentially said:

Comcast is a bunch of ***holes. I know, I have a friend who works there. He tells me what they do.

That's practically along the lines of sitting down in a resturant, asking the waitress if she would eat there herself. And instead of praising the work place, practically coming out and telling you "no..." with a this and that is terrible :lol:

I'm moving by months end, and I will be getting FiOS. Last time I got it, there was no cap from what I could gather. And I straight out quized them on the matter, besides looking for some info on the matter also.

We have Comcast ... 250 GB is not that bad, even with streaming a lot of movies and stuff we haven't hit it yet.

It's more the principle of having a cap of any size, vs none at all. When one competitor doesn't have one, the one with a cap is losing business. But then again, I'm living around Trenton, NJ, and about 12-15 miles (well where I will be moving next) from Philadelphia. So it's rather hard for a provider to maintain themselves as the only game in town. Rural areas are going to be different.

And I know precisely what they do with these bandwidth caps. I've raided (WoW) with some who live in Australia, where Telstra does that sort of crap. And all I can say is if some go that route, it might be time to call them Telstra to their faces :lol: They forced these people to dialup speeds for instance, and after capped they'd be getting like 20,000 ms latency times. No thank you. But then Comcrap's rather creative billing policies gave me more then enough reason to boycott the company in itself :D

So it's rather hard for a provider to maintain themselves as the only game in town. Rural areas are going to be different.
Actually in most cases it's better for these big ISPs in the "big city". In most cases they can form some sort of deal with the town, city, whatever and become the only game in town (monopoly) of that sort of service (ie. cable, DSL, ect.). And if your [un]lucky enough to live in a place that only has 1 crappy cable provider or only DSL (or thousands of places that can't get DSL because they are to far from an exchange) then your SOL and have a monopoly to deal with. :(

I would really love to see some of these big ISPs be broken up, or some sort of legislation opening up or lower the cost of entry for competition. The internet has become to much a part of every day life to be given monopoly status to any ISP anywhere.

I love Comcast, never had a problem with them. I download tons of things and never get contacted by them. I'm not complaining about getting 35 mbps down and 18mbps up when I pay for the lowest of services. Besides if you've ever been anywhere without a real internet provider (Northland in South Carolina) you will never ever complain about anything comcast does, they are the biggest and they will take everything over, especially when they buy Sprint...
Like someone said in this post, the cap has been in place for a couple years already... and everyone will have a cap...

I have heard that they are trying to buy Sprint so they can get into the cell phone game. In fact, they were supposed to last year, but the thing with NBC was a priority. I won't get their cell service if they do.

I have heard that they are trying to buy Sprint so they can get into the cell phone game. In fact, they were supposed to last year, but the thing with NBC was a priority. I won't get their cell service if they do.
Yep, thats why. And they will do it. Because Sprint cannot remain a company in competition against the Massive AT&T and Verizon.
I won''t get it either though, because even though I love Comcast, I love AT&T too...
Funny how some people get lucky with their experiences with companies.

Just saw some news that relates to this in a way. Seems on Monday Time Warner finally got it's anti-community fiber to the home bill passed in NC.

Source: DSLReports

Just saw some news that relates to this in a way. Seems on Monday Time Warner finally got it's anti-community fiber to the home bill passed in NC.

Source: DSLReports

Scared of competition, so they do anything they can to stop it. They want to hold a monopoly and rip people off is what it is. I hate companies like that. They don't care about the customer, they only care about the money. Stupid people they are.

They must have paid those congressmen millions to vote in their favor. Nothing like a company bribing the government, eh? Lobbying is bribing, and should be outlawed.

Actually in most cases it's better for these big ISPs in the "big city". In most cases they can form some sort of deal with the town, city, whatever and become the only game in town (monopoly) of that sort of service (ie. cable, DSL, ect.).

Actually, that was my experience in the small town, rather then the big city. My parents retired in Maine, and though it wasn't an ISP, it was the property developer.

They had a covenent on the property they bought, which incidently wasn't their first choice. But the house they wanted, slight difference in how things worked where they moved from and. In Maine, all realators worked for the seller, even the one the buyer payed for. In Jersey, they worked for the client who hiered them respectively, and the one that a person payed for. But the realator they had, wanted a higher commission so told them the builder wouldn't negotiate on the price. They got stuck.

Well incidently off the first property the builder was so mad when he heard what the realator pulled, he took the house off the market, decided to keep it for himself, and told them essentially "take that, you get no sale. Next time don't go putting words in my mouth" :laugh:

But the corruption started, where the developer on this other house had a covenent, and all these legal terms they had to agree to. But for his part? Nothing. He was supposed to plow the road? He didn't, and my parents plow guy had to plow up to their driveway for free, to get the job of their driveway done. Not to mention his road only had the undercoat, and he never finished it, or that he layed it straight up the street at a steep incline, so the town took other developers to our street to give them an example of what not to do. But he was grandfathered, and this street people would slide down in the snow, which isn't uncommon up north.

The driveway, my parents payed half the bill to have it paved, with an agreement the developer would pay the other half; but the driveway was only paved to half the thickness and fell apart soon after. My parents got a building inspector to inspect the place, but the developer bought off the building inspector to lie to them.

Among the lies was that it had a "superior maitenance roof, that should last 40 years". For that comment, they had to pay extra high property taxes, for having "such a well built home" ha. The roof was leaking in < 6 years. My father refused to believe me, citing what their building inspector said (the one they found out was bought off); until the day he went to change a light bulb in the kitchen overhead light and it exploded in his hand with water dripping all over him.

When they got roofers, the people they contracted couldn't stop laughing at the superior maitenance roof bit; and was like "well let me put it this way". Among the problems they found, siding shingles were used on the roof, the boots that go around the piping and stuff in the roof was cut, so it would go on easier, but it also broke the seals. The skylight was installed incorrectly, and there was a problem with how the chimney was done. They had no regard for "whoever put that original roof on there before", as they were having to go and re-do it all.

Oh, and that's not to mention the radon that was found in the basement, or all the paint and stain cans that were left in the woods, not far above the cap for the well (they had well water). The cans had already drained into the ground.

But none of that took the cake, because after the rather poorly layed roof was breaking down and needed repair, the contractor who didn't bother to do the road properly or finish it, decided to "give the road" to the residents on the street. He asked my parents and others, "how would you like to own the road?" They were like "no, we don't want it". He said "tough, it's yours anyway" even though there was no deed handed on the thing.

And right at that time, my parents got an estimate, and the road needed $1.6 million of work to get it back into acceptable condition again, as much as could be without re-laying the thing accross the sub-divided property lines, some of which were sold and some which were not, to bring it into code. As an elderly couple, living on pension and social security, and what was put into an IRA; they had no where near $1.6 million to throw at the developer's road, for road work.

Anything done about it? Nope. He was well connected in the small town's inner circle of local politicians. I had more then that to last a lifetime. And 3 houses alone who were by then using it (someone bought land further up but never built on it) wouldn't have been enough to create enough of a public uproar in the courts, media, or the like to cause a scandal to be made of it. And without a scandal, no one was going to hold that developer accountable, not with his connections. It wouldn't be enough people for the media to be interested for there to be bad press either; the sorts that creates negative PR that might motivate some.

And if your [un]lucky enough to live in a place that only has 1 crappy cable provider or only DSL (or thousands of places that can't get DSL because they are to far from an exchange) then your SOL and have a monopoly to deal with. :(

But markets such as New York City, Philadelphia, and the like would have trouble being serviced by just one provider, in part because of the volume, and in part because if things go a certain way, there's enough people to well...

On the DSL front though, they can't have one provider, due to the telecommunications act of 1996 which requires the phone company to allow competitors on their line. The result there is that under law, they have to allow other CLEC's and other ISP's onto their wire. As such, for instance when I lived in Albuquerque, and had DSL, Qworst only was responsible for connecting the phone circuit, through a loop back connection, so in my case Covad could then plug it into their DSLAM. Speakeasy (my ISP), then took it from there, into their routers and what not. All said though, I was not going to use Qwest's ISP choice, after having had them, they chose to have their little "merger" as they called it with MSN, and sent all their qwest.net customers that mandatory migration notice, telling us we had to switch to MSN for our ISP. I cancelled (before signing up with Speakeasy) and told the phone rep that I hate MSN, will not use them, and if you want to know why to check out www.dslreports.com and see all the customer's feedback on MSN internet. Qwest ended up providing the phone line, but I held them up to having to let me use a competitor over their wire, per the telecommunications act. If anything woudl have come from it (and it didn't), I would have gone to the public utility commission and lodged a formal complaint :p

I would really love to see some of these big ISPs be broken up, or some sort of legislation opening up or lower the cost of entry for competition. The internet has become to much a part of every day life to be given monopoly status to any ISP anywhere.

It's unfortunate that the telecommunications act of 1996 doesn't apply to cable companies; and they're not forced to allow competitor ISP's on the cable line. For now, one's left, if they want choice to have to be in areas where for instance FiOS and the cable co compete, and have to keep trying to woo customers from the other. And/or areas where DSL is available along side cable and other options. Though in that, we all know that distance is a limiting factor. aDSL won't work beyond a certain distance from the phone switch, or in areas where the phone line layed, has certain issues... There is satalite, though that can also introduce certain latency issues, along with questions (depending on the service) if dialup is needed for the uplink, or if it's a 2 way connection.

Scared of competition, so they do anything they can to stop it. They want to hold a monopoly and rip people off is what it is. I hate companies like that. They don't care about the customer, they only care about the money. Stupid people they are.

They must have paid those congressmen millions to vote in their favor. Nothing like a company bribing the government, eh? Lobbying is bribing, and should be outlawed.

This is going to come to bite some areas in the foot. With the economy what it is, and the job market what it is, many people are thinking of moving. And when things become too expensive in an area because of either the government or monopolies, many will leave.

This is precisely what is happening in New Jersey to a certain degree, and precisely why many, having had enough voted Christie in.

Things have hit the point where property taxes in the area are more expensive then a mortgage on the same house. If someonen gave a house, and gift taxes weren't an issue, onen would end up owing NJ more money then a bank would collect on a loan, through their annual taxes alone. One of my brothers has a $8,500/year property tax bill on a small house with like 2 or 3 bedrooms, and an extremely small yard. My sister, for a more moderaltely sized 4 bedroom house (though in northern Jersey) is paying like $26,000 in property taxes alone. And it is not a mansion. The cost of living is also extremely high.

The result? A mass exodus as people are moving out of state; interspersed with voting Chris Christie in. And when many weren't satisfied with the taxes, rent, and whatever else being so danged high? They resumed fleeing the state. The people remaining behind, are those who can't afford to leave, in part because they're fleeced left, right, and center. And the cuts in police forces (which are comming with increases in crime), while taxes remain high, aren't convincing people to stay.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back