Comcast has a 250 gig limit on internet

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
The *******s have a 250 gig a month data limit on the internet usage. There goes me thinking about getting netflix or any other streaming server.

This has been in place since around the end of 2008.

250 GB a month

I do streaming and torrents but have never hit the cap.

I didn't know about it going into affect till today. If I had known, I would have thought twice about getting the service. I called them and asked about it, they said that they don't give caps to business accounts. Maybe I should have gotten that instead.

My wife and I stream about 3 movies per week and she plays WOW and some other internet games quite a bit. We haven't come close to hitting the limit.

I am at over 100 gig used and it is only the 10th of the month.

I've gone over the 250 gig limit twice. I have yet to have Comcast contact me. I do know that my cousin was contacted via letter by Comcast that if he went over 250 gig again, they would cancel his service for 1 year. He also had used over 1tb of bandwidth that month.

I do make sure to check my comcast account to check their account of my usage regularly and also run Networx on all of my networks computers.

Aso of today, the 11th, I'm at 77GB according to Comcast and 56.9GB according to Networx. Now I know that I haven't streamed 20 GB of Netflix content, probably closer to 3 GB. Thanks Comcast!

The cap is a "soft" cap meaning if you go a bit over now and then you will not hear from Comcast.

They tend to go after the people who are going way over the cap every month and/or are putting a strain on the node (like running a server or torrenting heavily 24/7).

As for your usage it is all data that goes through the modem.

I wish fios would come to this area, then they probably have a cap as well.

Everyone is going to have a cap so get used to it.

There is not enough bandwith to support streaming video so someone is going to have to pay for the new bandwidth infrastructure.

The ISP's want part of the streaming video (content) market place profits for their own to cover their increased bandwith demands.

So we pay more and/or get less bandwidth.

Everyone is going to have a cap so get used to it.

There is not enough bandwith to support streaming video so someone is going to have to pay for the new bandwidth infrastructure.

The ISP's want part of the streaming video (content) market place profits for their own to cover their increased bandwith demands.

So we pay more and/or get less bandwidth.

Most ISP's have more then enough room right now but want to get the money if they can so they are going to cry wolf and over charge you, throttle you, get laws past, cripple/block competition. What we need is a free market with competition, and some of the dark fiber lit up.

It is the same reason why you have tiered on wireless carriers. That makes it impossible to have anything that streams, like xm for mobile; sky.fm; sportcast; or vcast; etc; etc; etc.

All they are going to do is put those places out of business becuase they would rather charge you 1,000 a month for ten minutes of play time as apposed to give unlimited.

Considering that plenty of civilized countries can get high-speed internet almost everywhere (for like $25-$50 a month, too), it's astounding that U.S. ISPs get away with charging $60 for a 10mbit connection and still pretend like we're hurting them by using what we bought.

I am going to look into getting a t1 hooked up at my place. At least then I won't be stuck with stupid caps.

50mbit down/ 1.75 up (will be 5 up by december) including phone line for £37.50/month (including 20% tax)

No caps. When the upload speed is increased there will be a soft cap that triggers rate limiting to a speed higher than the current upload rate so no big loss.

A year or two back Time Warner’s Road Runner had test markets for a 40 gig cap, after a while they steered away from it for now. The way Time Warner is headed I’m sure the cap will be back soon.

The last few months Time Warner has been moving standard tier channels to the digital side “only viewable with the rental of a digital set top box and the fees that go along with it” Now on April 12th we will loose 5 more channels “Travel Channel, truTV,C-Span 2, CMT and ShopNBC to this stupid ploy to force us to rent a digital set top box to receive channels and pay the extra dollars…all the while our rates have been going up considerably but were still loosing channels, we also pay just over $21.00 a month to receive the local channels in this area that should be free.
When I removed the digital box about 2 years ago I was even getting charged rent on the damm remote to run the thing.

If I took my boots off I think that I could count the channels we have left with fingers and toes!!

That is unless I wanted to pay $160.00 to $200.00 a month.

I know some people around here that pay $240 a month for cable TV and internet with them.

Comcast charges 180.00 for 50 meg down. The *******s.

@bushdogg - I say you get Dtv and tell Time Warner to go **** themselves.

I forgot to mention that they're slowly rolling out 100/10 with no caps/rate limiting across the country for an extra £10/month :)

Comcast charges 180.00 for 50 meg down. The *******s.

@bushdogg - I say you get Dtv and tell Time Warner to go **** themselves.

Dtv works if your just replacing cable TV (unless your in an apartment then your stuck), but Time Warner has a monopoly on internet service most places it's available.

Also read not to long ago they are working to pass laws that would make it more difficult to run fiber to the home (aka FiOS). This type of anti-competitive behavior should be illegal instead of the norm.

That is insane, Xie, and should not be allowed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back