Combo DVD/CD-RW Drive will not recognize blank discs

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by arew264, Mar 4, 2005.

1. arew264

arew264 OSNN Junior Addict

Hey, I have an Abit SG-72 motherboard running Win XP Pro on an Intel Celeron D processor. My COmbo DVD\CD-RW drive will not recognize blank cds in WIndows or in a burning app. I have no idea what brand it is and I can't seem to find it. THe only indication to that I have is that the logo on the cd burning install autorun is labeled as Digital Energy. THe Name in the system device manager is COMBO-52X16C. Could someone please help me?

2. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Arew,

First off, how old is the drive?
    Has it worked before?
    Have you used those type of blank CD's before?
    I assume it finds/plays/opens regular audio/game/data cd's, am I correct?

Please let us know a bit more info,

Heeter

3. arew264

arew264 OSNN Junior Addict

This drive is less than a year old and as far as I know has never burned cds except for the first time I tried to. Since then the computer has undergone a format and upgrade to XP Pro SP2. This is the type of cds I have used since before we got the drive. Normal disk work fine and it works perfectly besides this little glitch. I also just played around with it and learned that it does recognize a disk sometimes. It also recognized a disk when I rebooted with it in, but I only tried that once. I'm going to post back in a minute after I see if it handles my cd-rw's (I barely ever use them and they are a different brand).

PS I use Verbatim Cd-R's

4. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Arew,

I did myself return two of my client's CDBurners back on warranty last week, because of the same issues, will recognize a regular CD, but not burn a CD-R. Actually, one was a DVDBurner that only burned CD's, not DVD's.

Other than trying to upgrade the firmware for the CDBurner and trying an empty CD-R that it does not recognize, try burning with another CDBurner, you don't have really any other option other than returning and getting another on warranty. It is less than a year old. Windows does recognize and issue a drive letter to the drive. Even if you had the IMAPI service disabled, your third party software still should have worked. So the problem lies with the drive itself, not a Windows configuration.

Heeter

5. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Some CD writing software have problems unless you disable Windows own CD writing, rather than run them together.
    Try a Regsitry entry .... HkeyCurrent User/Software/MSoft/Windows/Current Version/Policies/ Explorer

Right click on righthand pane for New D word, call it NoCDBurning , and give it a value of 1.
    Personally have had such problems myself....... unless of course its your writer after all !

6. xtweaker

xtweaker Tweaking Monkey

Or just disable the service called "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"...