Combo DVD/CD-RW Drive will not recognize blank discs

arew264

OSNN Junior Addict
Hey, I have an Abit SG-72 motherboard running Win XP Pro on an Intel Celeron D processor. My COmbo DVD\CD-RW drive will not recognize blank cds in WIndows or in a burning app. I have no idea what brand it is and I can't seem to find it. THe only indication to that I have is that the logo on the cd burning install autorun is labeled as Digital Energy. THe Name in the system device manager is COMBO-52X16C. Could someone please help me?

Hi Arew,

First off, how old is the drive?
Has it worked before?
Have you used those type of blank CD's before?
I assume it finds/plays/opens regular audio/game/data cd's, am I correct?

Please let us know a bit more info,

Heeter

Heeter said:
Hi Arew,

First off, how old is the drive?
Has it worked before?
Have you used those type of blank CD's before?
I assume it finds/plays/opens regular audio/game/data cd's, am I correct?

Please let us know a bit more info,

Heeter
This drive is less than a year old and as far as I know has never burned cds except for the first time I tried to. Since then the computer has undergone a format and upgrade to XP Pro SP2. This is the type of cds I have used since before we got the drive. Normal disk work fine and it works perfectly besides this little glitch. I also just played around with it and learned that it does recognize a disk sometimes. It also recognized a disk when I rebooted with it in, but I only tried that once. I'm going to post back in a minute after I see if it handles my cd-rw's (I barely ever use them and they are a different brand).

PS I use Verbatim Cd-R's

Hi Arew,

I did myself return two of my client's CDBurners back on warranty last week, because of the same issues, will recognize a regular CD, but not burn a CD-R. Actually, one was a DVDBurner that only burned CD's, not DVD's.

Other than trying to upgrade the firmware for the CDBurner and trying an empty CD-R that it does not recognize, try burning with another CDBurner, you don't have really any other option other than returning and getting another on warranty. It is less than a year old. Windows does recognize and issue a drive letter to the drive. Even if you had the IMAPI service disabled, your third party software still should have worked. So the problem lies with the drive itself, not a Windows configuration.

Heeter

Some CD writing software have problems unless you disable Windows own CD writing, rather than run them together.
Try a Regsitry entry .... HkeyCurrent User/Software/MSoft/Windows/Current Version/Policies/ Explorer

Right click on righthand pane for New D word, call it NoCDBurning , and give it a value of 1.
Personally have had such problems myself....... unless of course its your writer after all !

Tweakfiend said:
Some CD writing software have problems unless you disable Windows own CD writing, rather than run them together.
Try a Regsitry entry .... HkeyCurrent User/Software/MSoft/Windows/Current Version/Policies/ Explorer

Right click on righthand pane for New D word, call it NoCDBurning , and give it a value of 1.
Personally have had such problems myself....... unless of course its your writer after all !

Or just disable the service called "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back