Combing Files (HJSplit)

N

Not Bman

Alright, I have a bunch of .001 files (001,002,003,etc) and I searched around and read that WinRAR and 7zip can combine them, but that never works. I also found that they say that HJSplit is the tool to use.

Now these .001 files are suppose to combine into a .iso file. I run HJSplit and it creates a file that has no extension, the right name but no extension. Now I even try to extract that newly created file which shows it trying to extract the .iso but it freezes and goes no where. I also tried giving the no extension newly created file a .iso to the end, but when I mount it, it gives nothing.

What am I doing wrong, is there another tool out there?

Probally missing parts. I use hjsplit all the time without any problems.

If it was done with winzip/winrar/winace There is usually one more file that has an extension other than .xxx That file is the master and tells the program how to reassemble the original.

Just for grins try winace. It is commonly used by webizens to split files into bite size chunks.

One more thought. After combining the file may still be zip/ace/rar'd. You need to know the right file to unzip with or it usually just returns an error.

Try all three, but use ACE first. It is usually what ended up working on mystery files.

Last edited:
The combined file from HJSplit is called "vty-179a" and just that.

When I try to extract it, it give an error. I do not see how another program such as Winace (file extracting programs) will help. I was looking for something that is suppose to work with .001 files.

I will try it if I have too. I am still unsure what to do now.

*and why did u say Winace, didn't help, extracting with it does the same as 7zip does and there are no extra options with it.

Probally missing parts. I use hjsplit all the time without any problems.

HJSplit seems to work, i just said it creates a file without an extension.

Last edited by a moderator:
did these files also come with .par2 files ? if so use quickpar

it will check the files to make sure they are all complete (crc check) and in most cases will combine the files

Quickpar came back and said its fine, nothing needing to be fixed.

So I gave up and got rid of the files. I never got it to work.

Now I'd still like to know how to work with .001 files, since I do come in contact with them often enough. They are the only files I have ever had problems with, and almost every single time as well.

.001 is not a type of a file. It gives us nothing to go on. Please find out what type of file it is using the magic numbers embedded in most files.

In Linux there is a command named "file" which if run against a file will spit out what type of file it is.

Code:
wideload:Desktop xistence$ file UoM.Where.Am.I.pdf 
UoM.Where.Am.I.pdf: PDF document, version 1.2

wideload:<weee>.S02E01.HDTV.XviD xistence$ file <weee>.201.r00
<weee>.201.r00: RAR archive data, v14, os: Unix

Once you get back to us with what the document really is, we can start helping you find out how to put it back together, and then extracting from it.

I don't get what you mean, filename.001 is the file. I will though research more about it.

001 is norm hjsplit, the file it gave you might have been an extension less file, what was it you were downloading

Open WINRAR and goto File > Open Archive

Under 'Files Of Type' at the bottom select 'all files' then your .001 file should show up. Select the .001 file and click open.

Winrar will combine the files and show you the file inside it. you can then drag the file from Winrar to your desktop etc...

Works for me everytime.

True, but I am not a prev, so it can only be 3 things lol

movies (inc pron)
music
games

only things on the ineterwebs to download :p

Items not permitted on OSNN. lol
If you "acquired" this file(s) then they are most likely "rar" files. If the file didn't come with one with the ".rar" extension then you can usually just use the next lowest one (ie. 001) to "unrar" them. :) I use a program called IZArc and it works very well for me. Oh and it's FREE and does most any compression file you can think of. ;) If you still had the files you would just right click on one of them and do "test" and it would tell you if you had them all or not.

If you "acquired" this file(s) then they are most likely "rar" files. If the file didn't come with one with the ".rar" extension then you can usually just use the next lowest one (ie. 001) to "unrar" them. :) I use a program called IZArc and it works very well for me. Oh and it's FREE and does most any compression file you can think of. ;) If you still had the files you would just right click on one of them and do "test" and it would tell you if you had them all or not.

Thanks for the last 2 replys, I know of this. Normally I believe there is a .rar file without and it works, but once in awhile its just the .001 files and i try to extract them and it just freezes, like unrars a certain amount of it and just stops. I will try that program next time I get them and see how it goes.

No Avatar for you.

If you were referring to me from my twitter, I got those, not the one I had issues with lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back