Cloning with Ghost 2003

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wingman411, Nov 28, 2004.

1. wingman411

wingman411 OSNN Senior Addict

North of Seattle
    I have two HD's, one 250 and one 120GB. I have Windows XP pro and windows 98 in a dual boot setup on the 250GB. I also have two other partitions one for data and one for music.

I currently clone the large drive over to the small one as a complete backup in case something happenst to the primary, I can just set the bacup drive as the primary drive and I will be back up and running.

My question is do I have to clone the whole drive, or can I clone just the WinXP partition. I clone the whole drive now about once a week so I have a complete backup. Because of the dual boot setup, I don't know if I just clone the XP partition if it will still boot up to both Xp and win98?

Has anyone done this before?
  2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Fort Worth, TX
    I just clone the windows XP partition on my multipartition setup.
  3. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

Thats all I did also. cloned C:\ drive and moved it to D:\ Great program. !

Since were on this topic. Has anyone burned their backup Ghost image to CD and then used it to Restore onto another PC hard drive?
  4. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

Mankato, Minnesota, USA
    first off, yes you can do just the xp backup, pertaining you have saved an instance of 98 as well.

as far as restoring from cd onto a different computer, no, it doesnt work, unless you have the same chipset, xp is a b!tch when it comes to that. all my systems i build for people have the same motherboard, highly configurable. makes installations go fast seeing how i just restore from a dvd. everything is already updated and programs already installed. makes an all day job done in a couple hrs. streamlined.
  5. Zaphod1620

Zaphod1620 OSNN Junior Addict

You can clone a disk for use on another pc. You can use Microsoft's Sysprep that comes on the Windows CD (If using XP w/ SP2, you will have to download another version of sysprep). Sysprep essentiallyremoves the plug and play database and any oother system specific settings, including the chipset drivers. You run sysprep, then shut down and clone the drive. If you start the computer up again, the drivers will reinstall themselves. Read here for more information: