clone a hd..

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
I need to clone a hd to another hard drive. EVERYTHING..i need to remove the hd with the os, so i want to clone my drive c (xp pro) to my drive e (empty) so when i remove drive c, E will boot with what was on c...can this be done?

i would just ghost the c drive, only downside is that it moan about the e drive not being the right size

oh..yea c is 80gb and e is 400..any thoughts at all...i need seamless...something fast and easy..

Use Ghost, you won't have any problems with the drives being different sizes. It will work just fine :)

Or Acronis True Image, there are several programs out there that can do it :)

Use Ghost, you won't have any problems with the drives being different sizes. It will work just fine :)

Or Acronis True Image, there are several programs out there that can do it :)

whats the best and fastest?

i have only used ghost - as i said in above post it will moan at you about the size, but kcnychief is right it will go ok, i have only ever had to do it once

I don't think either is really better or faster, as there are many factors to consider when asking that question. For what you need, both will do the job.

i have only used ghost - as i said in above post it will moan at you about the size

I have never had Ghost complain about different size drives. Is this booting from the cd or starting Ghost from within Windows?

I do not have Ghost installed as I just boot from the cd when I need to clone/backup.

this was an old version, cant remeber if it was from dos or withing windows, going back about 3-4 years

Well I still have/use Ghost 2003 (still feel this is the best version of Ghost) too and it never complains about disk size differences.

i had a free version it came with the ark (p2 pentium i think it was) ;) good little pc it was too :)

If both drives are WD then just use their utilty CD (or floppy) to image the original

Warnings!

1) Do not boot into windows with both HDs installed! It does not like that and may mess up one or both HD's Boot Sectors. If it sees 2 identical bootable disks it may alter the second one changing the drive letter references.

2) Check which version of windows liscence you have. It may deactivate with a disk change or if you have done other upgrades in the last 6 months.

Make a back up of your .wpa file just in case.
Also make a backup of your track 0.

Sometimes imaging is easy, sometimes it is a pain. Good luck.

I still like to use Drive Image 7 which is essentially Ghost 2003. I've had a reoccuring problem with Acronis. The safely remove hardware wizard tends to get botched; after imaging with acronis, it can't find the .dll

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back