clone a hd..

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by failurbydesign, Nov 9, 2007.

1. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

I need to clone a hd to another hard drive. EVERYTHING..i need to remove the hd with the os, so i want to clone my drive c (xp pro) to my drive e (empty) so when i remove drive c, E will boot with what was on c...can this be done?

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

i would just ghost the c drive, only downside is that it moan about the e drive not being the right size

3. failurbydesign

oh..yea c is 80gb and e is 400..any thoughts at all...i need seamless...something fast and easy..

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Use Ghost, you won't have any problems with the drives being different sizes. It will work just fine :)

Or Acronis True Image, there are several programs out there that can do it :)

5. failurbydesign

whats the best and fastest?

6. Dark Atheist

i have only used ghost - as i said in above post it will moan at you about the size, but kcnychief is right it will go ok, i have only ever had to do it once

7. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I don't think either is really better or faster, as there are many factors to consider when asking that question. For what you need, both will do the job.

8. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I have never had Ghost complain about different size drives. Is this booting from the cd or starting Ghost from within Windows?

I do not have Ghost installed as I just boot from the cd when I need to clone/backup.

9. Dark Atheist

this was an old version, cant remeber if it was from dos or withing windows, going back about 3-4 years

10. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Well I still have/use Ghost 2003 (still feel this is the best version of Ghost) too and it never complains about disk size differences.

11. Dark Atheist

i had a free version it came with the ark (p2 pentium i think it was) ;) good little pc it was too :)

12. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

If both drives are WD then just use their utilty CD (or floppy) to image the original

Warnings!

1) Do not boot into windows with both HDs installed! It does not like that and may mess up one or both HD's Boot Sectors. If it sees 2 identical bootable disks it may alter the second one changing the drive letter references.

2) Check which version of windows liscence you have. It may deactivate with a disk change or if you have done other upgrades in the last 6 months.

Make a back up of your .wpa file just in case.
    Also make a backup of your track 0.

Sometimes imaging is easy, sometimes it is a pain. Good luck.

13. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

14. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I still like to use Drive Image 7 which is essentially Ghost 2003. I've had a reoccuring problem with Acronis. The safely remove hardware wizard tends to get botched; after imaging with acronis, it can't find the .dll