Clear Pagefile at Shutdown.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mike89, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

What is the benefit of this tweak?

Seems if you are using mostly the same programs over and over, like at work, you would want it kept in the pagefile at shutdown so when starting again the next day, accessing those same programs would be faster. Is this not how it would work?

2. Speed4Ever

Speed4Ever Guest

Its a security tweak.

Its possible for someone in the know to get infoemation from the pagefile. Clearing the pagefile makes this near-impossible (I suppose you could do it with the same tools the feds use to get information of files that have been deleted). Now granted, thats extreme, and not something the average joe can do. But getting info off of the pagefile is fairly easy if someone has the knowledge.

Other than that, I dont see any other reason to do it. If your not worried about that security risk, I'd keep it set to normal.

Hope this helps...

3. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

So you see no performance benefits either way? Opening those same files the next bootup wouldn't be faster or slower either way?

4. Speed4Ever

Speed4Ever Guest

Not clearing the pagefile at shutdown should give you some performance benefits. It definitely wouldnt hurt.

On the other hand, clearing the pagefile may delay your shutdown sequence.

I'd recommend that, unless your worried about a possible security breach concerning the info stored in the pagefile, that you not clear he pagefile at shutdown.