Clean Off Hard Drive

B

blueyedboy

Xp Home edition giving big trouble. My father in law rather foolishly likes to re install XP every time he gets the the most smallest of problems with his PC. I have told him time and time again that he will cause great damage and should only re-install windows if he is absolutely desperate.

Now it would seem my words have come true and his system is totally corrupt. I want to reformat the HDD but cant. In windows 98 I used to do Fdisk. WHat do you do with XP.?? I cant do it by starting windows and right clicking on C: and choosing format, because it just tells me that I cant do that whilst other utilities are using the drive.

Any Ideas how I can manually do it. Fdisk was a very usefull tool on 98'... why you cant do it anymore is silly. Please help.

boot up with a win98 floppy disk, then FDISK the drive.

use the delete partition/create partition on the xp cd.

if you wanna go even further you could do a low level format

:cool:

TwoZigzagColt45

Just did it using windows 98 cdrom. deleted the partition, created a new and created a new one. when I ran the command format C: /s , I gat a bad command file name mesg.

Ran " Extract edb.cab format.com" but it kept saying the disk was write protected.

rebooted the pc with the Advent Recovery disc in (Norton Ghost), and it is now re -installing XP.

Dont yet know if the problems will be resolved.... but anyway.. how do I do a low level format.?? Laymans terms please cos I am a bit thick with Dos.

Also, XP home was pre installed on the system so I cant use the XP cd (which I dont have) to delete / create partitions.

go to your harddrive manufacturers website & search the download section for "low level format utility"
extract the files to floppy & reboot to floppy
follow the onsreen instructions

:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back