chkdsk

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bluzeboy, Jan 14, 2003.

1. bluzeboy

bluzeboy Bluzeboy

When I enter the command chkdsk /f it at first it tells me it needs exclusive access to the drive and must restart upon restart it says it still doesn’t have exclusive to access to the drive and can’t perform the task.
    What can I do to perform this ? ive taken Norton systemworks-I thought that was the problem.but it wasn’t

2. allan

allan Guest

Boot to the recovery console (I know you know how to do that now;) ) and try to run chkdsk /r from the RC.

3. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Guest

Hey bluzeboy,

That is normal, it is a "feature" in XP. Just check it off and then restart.

4. allan

allan Guest

Not being able to run chkdsk on the restart is not a feature, it's an anomaly. When you try to run chkdsk with a repair switch from within the gui you will either be asked if you want to dismount the volume or, if it's the boot drive or another partition that cannot be dismounted, if you want to run on the next boot. It should then run on that next boot. If it doesn't, that's a failure not a feature.

But again, let's see what happens when you try to run it from the RC - but run with the /r switch not the /f switch (which the RC probably won't recognize).

5. bluzeboy

bluzeboy Bluzeboy

mudpuppy- uncheck where"?\
    allen -when i try to install i get this message\
    It is possible that windows xp start up files in root directory were missing or in use during the installation.please close any application that might be using these files.
    I have closed all applications,unless I need to do something else.

6. allan

allan Guest

bluzeboy - this thread has spanned two web sites so I'm not quite sure where we are. But just boot to the XP CD and select the first restore option, go to the RC and type: chkdsk /r

Let me know what happens

7. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Guest

DOH.....I am tired and did not read what bluzeboy said correctly. Sorry mate! :huh: I did not see that he got that message upon startup. Good luck with that bluzeboy, I have never seen that problem. Please post here when you find the answer.

8. bluzeboy

bluzeboy Bluzeboy

Allen –I ran chkdsk /r then chkdsk /f it runs one time & then not the next it makes no rym or reason
    It is like it takes one time & not the other,I’m lost
    But thanks for your efforts