Chipset Heatsink

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by canadian_divx, Apr 28, 2003.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

how do i remove the chipset heatsink?????, there are the 2 plastic clips but it is still on there pretty good. i dont want to break it or pull the chip out? are there any tricks
    any liquids or anything???

i am removing it because i got a new chip set HSF for it, mine was just a large ass heatsink.

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

it just takes a little prying. it will pop off as long as you have the clips off.

3. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

ahhh.... damn it!! last week i take out my stupid old globaLWIN and replace with thermaltake 11 with ducting mod! it took a hell power out of me to take that globalwin out! :D

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

? :confused:
    i don't follow. we're referring to the chipset northbridge heatsink.

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Just be careful, you don't want to break the chip. I've heard some about cooling the chip down (cooling spray) or heating it up to soften the adhesive but I'm not sure which should be used here. So don't take my word for it!

6. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

twist the heatsink, it breaks the seal. this is from epox support after my out of warranty mobo northbridge fan packed up and i had a passive replacement.

7. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

oh shxt :( "northbridge heatsink"!!!
    arggghhh.... sory for wrong posting i din really look at the question :D

:mad: i will not repeating same error k :D
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

8. canadian_divx

ok thanks, now that the fan is here i will try to get it off, i just dont want to break it LOL

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

s'all good, bretenn. :cool:

i wouldn't worry about the heatsink being stuck to the chip that much... after all, it had clips holding it on. the compound in between should be little more than a tacky goo or pad. not an adhesive. :)

10. canadian_divx

ok i now ahve the free time to try this and i tryed pulling it off after removing the cips and it is on there pretty good. i called my friend and he tole me to get some of the compressed air and turn it upside down soa liqued comes out and when the heat sink is frozen then to twist it, so i am gonna try it because i tryed all my best to remove it and no go, so i must put it off till tomorow

11. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

well, i guess it is adhesive holding it on there. :huh:

that upside-down can trick is a good idea. zedric's suggestion to chill it seemed like a good one but i couldn't think of how that would be done, short of leaving your mobo in the freezer for an hour. :D

can trick should work. be sure to get all sides of it. and twisting is a good idea, as opposed to pulling/prying.

12. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

It's held on with thermal tape. Knife blade (CAREFULLY) inserted between the sink and chip will break the cohesion and take it off.

Glue is good in tension but wimpy in shear.