Cherry OS

All this OSX talk is making just want a Mac even more .. wish I wasn't poor. :( I think OSX on a PC would be cool for a bit but I would eventually want that kick ass hot as hell Mac hardware also. :D

the main site doesn't seem to be working anymore....

Brad said:
the main site doesn't seem to be working anymore....
Yeah noticed this last night. I wonder if they overdid bandwidth, or if demand was to high, or if Apple got to them?

Seems a bit too much effort to be a hoax, if it is, then the guys who did it are really, really sad.

Must admit though, it's looking pretty false at the minute:
  • Site appears from no where.
  • No one's heard of the company.
  • Product claims the (seemingly) impossible
  • Site dissapears
And amongst all this, no one has seen the damned thing work, even the promotional video only shows stills, which could easily of been a) PearPC shots, or b) shopped.

I truly believe that it was a PearPC clone. After looking at several stills, I saw the PearPC bios screen.

Doesn't seem too legit to me, especially since their web provider was their ISP.

The company is insisting the product is legitimate.

"There are thousands of PC makes out there, and I'll be the first to admit it may not run on all of them, but we believe the product works," said Kryeziu, the software's inventor, who adds that he is both "amused and saddened" by the tumult.

The company is likely to remain under fire until it can ramp back up and get the product delivered, said James Kerr, president of Honolulu computer services and repair firm SuperGeeks.

"Typically these emulators don't work that well, and the only way they're going to prove it does is by getting it into people's hands. The proof is in the pudding," he said.

Kerr says that if the product works as claimed, it is likely to find a huge market among computer users who prefer the Mac system but feel "forced" to buy PCs due to the higher cost of Apple computer systems.

The current uproar, in fact, could be due in part to Mac-heads viewing Cherry OS as too good to be true.

"The introduction of a new product would generate tremendous interest and maybe some resentment if the claims cannot be met," Kerr said.

Kryeziu says the company's site received "hundreds of thousands" of hits from interested buyers, compared with "25-30 people screaming their heads off online." But he acknowledged that Maui X-Stream miscalculated by underestimating the interest it would generate and was caught flat-footed by the demand.

He said the company originally did not offer a trial version out of concern the code could be pirated, but now says one is being readied.

But even if Maui X-Stream can get back on track, there could be other potential clashes ahead with Apple and PearPC if Cherry OS's code looks similar to its rival's.

Apple and PearPC did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Kryeziu says he is not worried.

"Our lawyers have looked at this and say we're in the clear. We wrote this from scratch and we're clean as a whistle," he said.

And yet, still no proof :eek: :p :D

http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/
yawn.gif

ok he said he downloaded a copy, does that mean its out to the public, and the site is down again,

themafia_69 said:
ok he said he downloaded a copy, does that mean its out to the public, and the site is down again,
From the article it sounds like perhaps he was just giving a working link to download a test copy.
developer, Arben Kryeziu, allowed me to download a test copy of the software from a site that has subsequently been removed

The site will return once the software is of a public release standard.

SPeedY_B said:
The site will return once the software is of a public release standard.
The site will return if the software is of a public release standard.
laugh.gif

There's no if about it, the makers say it's real, so it MUST be.. surely!!!!! :p :D :D

ok guys im ganna put up my new site, for my new software, i invented a program that will use your printer to construct object in 3d even Edible food yes Edible food. if u want it just tell me pay me the 60 dollars for it, then ill send u by mail your full version ( will never get their due to mail problems) :p

CherryOS is a fraud. I'm one of the lead developers of PearPC, and that's why I took the time to register, and post in a manner that allows credibility and accountablity to be attached to my statements.

Believe me when I say this. CherryOS is a fraud. They are using plenty of PearPC code, and have done a poor job hiding it. There are many people who have the CherryOS program already.

For those of you, who already knew this. The evidence is there, just be patient.

For those of you, who are telling everyone to shut up until they've released something, they have. And it's in capable hands. And they are already certain that it is using PearPC code.

For those of you who are making CherryOS, properly release your code under the GPL as it is required by law, and admit, at least to the developers of PearPC, that you've used PearPC.
aaaand....
PearPC developers who have seen CherryOS have confirmed it is a fraud, while others remaining anonymous have posted the 'strings' output that CherryOS and PearPC share, showing many function names, warning/informational message strings that exist verbatim in PearPC. Additionally, now-pulled screenshots of CherryOS, mirrored in the long thread at pearpc.net, show CherryOS's boot process revealing variable names and missing or incorrectly emulated hardware in such a way as to be specific to PearPC. Arben Kryeziu, the developer of CherryOS, claims that no code has been taken from PearPC whatsoever, and that he will release a trial version this week. However, with the amount of deception on the part of the company, and considering this wouldn't be the first time he's violated the GPL, it's hard to believe they're telling the truth. Additionally, Kryeziu now claims the "trial" may "disable modules like sound or drag and drop"...likely because PearPC itself does not support such features. To further add to the tale, someone who was likely Arben was specifically asking for video server load testing for their vx30.com video codec/server product, even specifically mentioning slashdot as a great candidate, and in the days following the CherryOS story unfolding, went back and deleted the posts. The first day, all that was left online were two videos, one of which was subsequently removed because of PearPC-specific strings in the boot process shown in the video...

It's not looking promising, is it? :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back