computer's performance and most importantly your Internet experience. Often,
file-sharing programs, Internet servers or one of many other misconfigured
Internet applications can be the cause of high amounts of traffic. Not only
will this affect the flow of traffic on the Internet, but it also puts a
major strain on computer resources.

It is important that you contact us immediately by telephone or email. If
you are aware of the Internet application that may be causing this excessive
amount of Internet usage, please disable it and contact us. If you require
assistance, we would be more than happy to help.

PLEASE NOTE:

We ask that the account holder please reply indicating that they have read
this e-mail and that they will make the necessary changes, or will contact
us for assistance.

To view of the Acceptable Use Policy please visit:
<https://secure.shaw.ca/policy/Use-Policy.asp>

Please look below to find your local Shaw phone number:

Kelowna : 712-2325
Vernon: 542-4007 Local 2325
Penticton: 492-5832 Local 2325
Chilliwack: 793-9944 Local 2325
Kamloops: 376-1175 Local 2325
Prince George: 562-1345 Local 2325
Cranbrook: 426-3341 Local 2325
Nelson: 352-3322 Local 2325
Trail: 368-5501 Local 2325
Castlegar: 365-3122 Local 2325
Fort St.John: 785-3039 Local 2325
Dawson Creek: 782-3039 Local 2325

Email Address: assistance.kel@shaw.ca

Thank you for your cooperation.

Internet Assistance Team
SHAW) High Speed Internet Services
2350 Hunter Road
Kelowna, BC, V1X 7H6

no comment

cool.gif

my comment is that they have alot of nerve...everybody knows I have no use for people that steal products on line, but I really have no patience for this invasion...I would take this further, I would check the user agreement, and if bandwidth use is not mentioned in your isp contract, I would ask a lawer for a class action of some kind

this really peeves my peeve button

Originally posted by dealer
my comment is that they have alot of nerve...everybody knows I have no use for people that steal products on line, but I really have no patience for this invasion...I would take this further, I would check the user agreement, and if bandwidth use is not mentioned in your isp contract, I would ask a lawer for a class action of some kind

this really peeves my peeve button

Well I didn't think of that point of view Dealer but that is a valid point.

most ISP have language in their user agreement about bandwith use, they don't usually call attention to it unless you are one of those people who are running extra services *cough* servers and the like, or have Kazaa or other p2p open all the time and trading legit software all the time *wink*

hence the rule

cool.gif

That is true. But I still think its crap that they can do that

well there are business accounts that will allow you to do that, but u can't expect to get everything for 19 bucks a month or less

cool.gif

That is true too. Sort of like the CEO of M$ can't get cable or DSL at his house and he is only like six minutes from downtown Seattle

there was no mention of bandwith usage in my contract. i was one of the first people to get cable internet in my city. and that was way be for people started whoring it with file sharing apps. so it really wasn't much of a concern. which by the way is not what i was doing. well, mabye a little bit. i was running a dedicated cs server. its down now. =[. since then they have started monitering bandwith usage and restricting ips. . and there is no way i am getting a bussness connection. we have one of those at work and it sux, big time. slow as hell. oh well. no more cs sever. i have a sweet connection here. and i want to keep it so i'll behave.

oDin.

That would be a good idea to play nice in the eyes of the isp but I would still think bout talking to them bout that since there wasn't anything said in the contract with your isp

Originally posted by Chastity
That would be a good idea to play nice in the eyes of the isp but I would still think bout talking to them bout that since there wasn't anything said in the contract with your isp

when i phoned them they asked me to come down and sign a "revised" contract. one that has a clause about bandwidth usage. one that all the new customers sign now. the lady i talked to was pushing their business connection like you wouldn't belive. crazy

oDin.

Well that is crap that u had to sign a revised contract. Well I might look and see if there are any other isp that aren't doing that or play fair with the one I've got

Originally posted by Chastity
Well that is crap that u had to sign a revised contract. Well I might look and see if there are any other isp that aren't doing that or play fair with the one I've got

i know its kinda lame eh. but, when i first got connected all this cable internet was new to shaw. i was a guinea pig of sorts. i paid for it to. with all the damn down times, sometimes for a couple of days sometimes for an hour. i would switch to telus xdsl but, i live to far away to get good speeds. where as with cable, i am the only one in my node. thats why i get such good speeds. =]

oDin.

They figured because of your bandwidth you were running some kind of server and you NEEDED the business plan to do that...
Cable sucks...

More important,,, how did they monitor your bandwidth?!? Is there something in the cable system that lets them do that?!? Or did you install THEIR cd and have it install a monitoring program?!?

I have over 24 SITES on my server,,, 2 forums,,, 3 chats,,, E-mail,,, UT,,, run Kazaa,, WinMX or e-donkey as needed and have never had any problems with my ISP,,, DSL,,, coming down on me...

dam m8 i pity ya.that's harsh,there pretty much sayin

"stop using the internet (as much) or bye-bye"

u should b able 2 use it as much as u like.

also an intresting point do they complain 2 the ppl that don't use it enough? "u are not using your conection as much as the average user..........use it more":p

lol, I got the same message a while ago when I was doing a bunhc of WinMX and Kazaa stuff.. I just toned it down and they left me alone.. I agree though, for the people who don't use hardly any bandwidth they should allow you use it up since they don't.. Shaw is affectionately known as the cable Nazi's around here..

Originally posted by MiseryQv2.1

More important,,, how did they monitor your bandwidth?!? Is there something in the cable system that lets them do that?!? Or did you install THEIR cd and have it install a monitoring program?!?

its acutally quite easy to moniter bandwidth usage. they simply moniter ur ip. works in a similar way to ie, when you download stuff off websites. if your ip uses to much bandwidth someone in shaws network admin department gets alerted. then they send you a polite little email telling you to quit whoreing bandwidth. as for their cd. like hell i am gonna install that ****!...a small note to everyone out there. if ur isp gives you a cd full of software to install. don't. you don't need it. no matter what they say. that is, unless ur on aol.

LOL cable Nazi...i like that...its funny

oDin.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back