Check Disk Problem

R

Roadsplat

I am trying to run check disk with the /f /r options. I type "Y" when it ask to check on the next reboot. I then reboot the system and it does run check disk and then reboots. Now here is where the problems begin.

It starts to reboot and then opens up the screen again to run check disk. It will now do 1 of 2 things.....It will then run chkdsk again and freeze. Or it will start to go through the boot procedure and then the screen goes blank and then freezes before it gets to the logon screen. Both cases lock the computer completely and I have to hit the reset button.

Another thing it has done is once it gets back to the check disk screen after the reboot it says the volume is clean and then says windows is restarting and then it locks up.

The only way I can get back into windows is to hit F8 on boot and choose the option to boot to LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIG. Once i'm in windows I run chkntfs /x c: to keep it from running check disk on boot.

Anybody know what I can do to let chkdsk run without locking up?

Thanks

RC

Open a command window and type in 'sfc /scannow.' This is XP's System File Checker. Make sure XP is healthy first, then start looking into bios updates and driver issues.

Yeah I tried that. Everything seems to check out fine. This problem is happening on two different computers. One is a Thinkpad laptop and the other is a desktop.

Bios and drivers are the lastest ones available. I've seen a few post elsewhere relating to this problem but I have not seen a solution. I hope someone can help. Thanks

RC

Ok..well I finally figured out what was causing this. I have found that there are a few programs that will cause this in WinXP...Pcanywhere 10.5 being one of them. Microsoft has a fix available that helps with some of the progams that cause this problem. However, it does not help with PcAnywhere. Symantec claims it is a Microsoft problem and Microsoft claims it's Symantec's problem...so who knows when this will be fixed. Just thought I would keep you guys updated on my findings. Thanks for the input I did receive.

RC

Roadsplat

Today I ran chkdsk the first time since I got my Dell. It is almost
5 months old and the very exactly same thing happen to me!
I did just what you did to get up.

Thanks for the info., I also run Norton!
And to think I paid for that hog when I could have got AVG free!

This was the first problem I have had with XP.
:(

Originally posted by Roadsplat
Once i'm in windows I run chkntfs /x c: to keep it from running check disk on boot.

Hi;

How do you run chkntfs /x c:?

I tried run and promp but no go?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back