Cheapest system with these specs:

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freightgod, Dec 26, 2002.

1. freightgod

freightgod Confused and Bewildered

I'm looking for the absolute cheapest box I can get for my sister which meets the following minimum specs. I'll be adding extras like a CD burner, DVD drive and larger second hard drive later and I own a second copy of XP Home which I'll give her if the box doesn't come pre-loaded. Personally I'd be happy to cobble together a system from scratch (I've built a few including her present one) but she wants a put-together system, preferably with a name she recognizes on it. So here's all it has to have:

256 mb memory (not fussy about type)
    1 Gig processor (again, not fussy)
    10 Gig HD (again, will only be used for OS)
    56k modem
    decent video card (brand---? Strictly 2D and DVD viewing)
    Decent sound card (Audigy would be nice)...speakers optional

Pretty basic, huh? What's my best deal on the net?
  2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

freightgod, I would build the system from scratch myself, have been doing that since 92 with all my computers, cheaper that way, plus it's fun.

3. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Texas, USA
    If you want to save some $$ and you don't mind doing it, buy refurbished. Then tweak it the way you want it.
  4. xsivforce

Texas, USA
    Here is an HP Pavilion 7950 / AMD Athlon 1.2GHz / 128MB / 40GB / CDRW / DVD / 56K / NIC / Windows ME / Refurbished Desktop Computer

Link: Tiger Direct

AMD Athlon™ 1.2GHz Processor
    128MB PC133 SDRAM Memory
    40GB Hard Drive
    16X DVD-ROM Drive
    HP 12X8X32X CD-RW 9300 series Drive
    3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive
    nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 Video Card
    Lucent 56k WinModem
    Onboard Realtek Fast Ethernet 10/100Mbps
    Crystal WDM Audio
    Polk Audio "F" Stereo Speakers
    PS/2 2-button Mouse
    PS/2 HP Internet/Multimedia Keyboard
    Microsoft® Windows® ME
    90 Day Limited Warranty

Just add a extra stick of ram and a monitor.

There are other deals out there. This is just an example. Look around. ;)
  5. jkipk

jkipk OSNN Addict

I just put together this:

amd duron 1.3/pc chips motherboard w/onboard 128bit 64mb (shared) memory/onboard ac97 sound
    420w pwr sply
    atx mini tower
    384mb pc133 sdram
    wd 60g 7200 ata 100
    wd 40g 7200 ata 100
    48-16-48 cdrw
    all new for 302.50.
    The barebones box was on eBay for 99 + 39 shipping, and I bought everything else new with rebates.

Granted, I'm using my old monitor/kbd/mouse, but you could spend the money I spent on hd for a monitor. All I had to do was plug everything together, it took about 2 1/2 hours. Easy.

Granted also theres 145 of my dollars floating around in rebate land for 2 months (what's up with that?)

OS and software are extra, not a problem for me but for you???

I haven't found anything close to what I got for what I paid, figure I saved $150 by plugging things in myself. Also saved on the onboard video/audio. My thought is that I can upgrade when I want, but spent the $ upfront on the hd, and so far the video is fine. Hard to imagine spending more for a video card than I did for the whole box!

have fun
  6. freightgod

Yeah, upon reflection, she really only needs a mb/processor/case/ps combo...the definition of a barebones system. All her other hardware is up to snuff. Thanks guys, I'm going shopping now...
  7. xsivforce

Texas, USA
    Take a little time to look around. There are always deals out there. ;)
  8. i could do that with a intel p4 board for under $300 prob........
  9. freightgod

Well, here's what I bought for $225.00 including shipping:

I know I could have shaved some more off by buying everything seperately, but I really have to get her up and running in one afternoon so I didn't want to dick around with the "backbone" of the system

I know it's not the latest and greatest but believe me its more than she needs and will keep her happy for a long time.

Thanks for the advice, everybody! What do you think of my purchase?