Changing the Search and Run Icons

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by Zodiaq, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Zodiaq

Zodiaq Guest

I know it's probably on the site somewhere but can anyone tell me how to change the Search and Run Icons in the Start Panel.

Thanks

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

you must edit the shell32.dll, or use a proggie like icon packager. I used icon packager to change mine

3. yoyo

yoyo _________________

You can the modify the DefaultIcon subkeys under these registry keys (Works for XP style Start Menu):
    Search
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f0-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}
    Run
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f3-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}

4. Zodiaq

Zodiaq Guest

sboulema...I actually use Icon Packager but it has never changed those 2 icons:(

yoyo...how exactly do I modify those strings? That's the way I would like to go.

Thanks guys;)

5. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Just navigate to the key mentioned above, expand it, then click the DefaultIcon subkey and on the right side doubleclick the Default entry and replace %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-23 with the path of your icon "C:\Any Folder\My Search.ico" (including quotes).

6. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Do you have to restart?

7. yoyo

yoyo _________________

No, log out and log in again.

8. Zodiaq

Zodiaq Guest

yoyo thanks. Seems simple enough but it's not working for me. It defaults to an unrecognizable icon.

bman...did you get it to work?

9. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

no, its not working for me either...

10. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Hmmm..? It works for me without a problem. Tested it on two computers with different icons. What kind of icons are you using? The default size ot the icons in the right side of the start menu is 24x24, so best if the icon contains this size, should however also work with standard sizes, at least it should not make them unrecognizable.
    You did put the path to your icon in quotes? (Important if there are spaces in it.)
    Could one of you perhaps post a screenshot how it looks for you? I'm curious now what might cause this problem.

11. Zodiaq

Zodiaq Guest

Thanks for the help yoyo...I ended up using Icon Packager 2.0 for the changes.