Changing motherboards!

after556677

OSNN Newbie
I just bought a Dell Dimension 3000 2.8ghz 80gb 1.25 ddr, but it does not have a AGP or a PCIe slot how hard would it be or if even it is possible to switch the motherboards out so i can have a AGP or PCIe slot?

would of been easier to buy a better pc..

depending on your expierience with pc's, isnt a huge job.. just make sure the new board is the same socket as your cpu.. you will probably also need to re-instal or at least a repair instal of your windows too.

If you don't want to assemble a whole new PC you may want to at least get a new case and PSU as you could have a great deal of trouble fitting a regular mobo into a Dell case, and you may have trouble fitting a Dell PSU into a regular case! Aside from that, just make sure the mobo has the correct socket for your CPU as Kc says.

Personally? My WTG here would be to buy case and mobo and take out from the Dell all the bits I wanted to keep - probably not the PSU, so you may want to consider a CASE/PSU option for economy also. You may well find cost benefit here gets dicey and it is worth considering buying low spec parts to swap into the old Dell so you end up with two rigs for the price of one and a half kinda....

Just my pennyworth there... whatever that comes to in $'s! :p

I got to agree with MFG...

First depending how old it is, anything you do to change the config voids the warranty..

Its simply easier to build a secondary machine...

Now if it is already out of warranty, then go for it, if you are so inclinded, but I warn you, manufactured PCs are a pain in the ARSE!

you would be better served buying the parts for an entirely new PC.

I pulled up the pictures on the Dell website. It looks like a standard micro ATX MB layout. The rear panel connector does have a removable pop-out. The only problem area may be the exhaust fan shroud from the CPU cooler to the rear of the case. You may have to leave that off with a new MB.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...00?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&~tab=viewstab#tabtop

Now the risk issues:
-The copy of XP home you are using may be rigged (liscenced) to only work on a Dell brand MB. If that is the case you have to buy a new copy of XP.

-The power supply may be too small to add a serious vdieo card (I assume you want gaming capabilities). Pull it out and find the label. Post the power rating (300W, 350W, 400W, etc) and the current ratings for the +3.3V, +5V and +12V and any limitations mentioned like "combined 3.3V and 5V load should not exceed 180W" adn we can tell you what it will support.

-Case cooling may not be good enough if you add a hefty video card. What cards are you considering?

Aside from all that there is a procedure for swapping MBs. Sometimes it works sometimes you are forced to do a clean install. Basically you go into Device Manager and uninsatll all of the devices (video, audio and system). Then install the new MB and boot up.

If you try to install a new MB make sure you physically have ALL of the setup, driver and XP CD's for that Dell. They often put the repair or install data on a seperate partition on the HD. If you trash the new MB install and decide to give up and go back to the Dell MB you will need everything in CD form.

Any chance you can just order a new MB from Dell with a video card slot? It will be more expensive than buying one off the shelf but will avoid some of the technical risks above.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back